Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Update: Went driving with SD. YAY!

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 17 Replies
3 moms liked this

SD15 has her learner's permit.  She's supposed to get at least 10 hours from the time of the permit til she can do the next level.  I took her driving today.  I didn't realize (thank God) that she'd never even driven with Dad before, never driven our car before today.  Oh...and has only 1 hour under her belt driving in the small town we're from.  eek! 

So I took her driving today in a suburb of DC.  I am so proud of her!  She did great!  I just had to keep repeating, "relax...you're doing great!"   We ran a few errands and drove for about 45 min.  Only had one "grab the wheel" moment (she didn't realize there was a median and was turning into the oncoming lane instead of ours).  But we were never at risk really.  

We need to  practice some parking.  But really, for only having some golf cart driving and 1 hour of car driving under her belt, she did GREAT!  And frankly, I'm really proud of ME for not freaking out!  It was way more like teaching a riding lesson than freaking out in a car.  Worked out great!

Next time we'll find a parking lot that's empty and practice running over cans and getting a feel for the vehicle placement and practice parking.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM
That's great!

Yesterday I was thinking to myself that OSS is almost 15 and will probably get his learners permit in a year or so, and how scary it is to think about him driving.

Good for you for not flipping out, I hope I can say the same when the time comes for me lol
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM

SD hasn't asked to drive at all. DH has offered her the option but it's been when we're ALL going somewhere and I think that makes her nervous.  I ran some errands this morning and then thought, "Crap!  I should've taken her to drive!"  So I came home and got her and finished the chores of the day.  She did great.  I didn't have time to get nervous or be a wreck...had to pay attention and try to keep her calm. It really felt just like tutoring or teaching riding lessons.  Went really well.  Good luck to you Leigh!

AmericanDream
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM

My SD will be able to get her permit next Spring.  Lord, help us all. LOL. No, I think she'll do great... but her mom is a nervous ball of anxiety about stuff like that and her dad is an agressive driver.  It will be interesting to see who ends up teaching her.

Glad things went well for you, today!

hriabywx4
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I'm so nervous about this! My DS and SS will get their learners permits next summer!
CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM
My DS has to have 50 in car hours (with me not instructor) before he can get his license. He has had 2 in car sessions with his instructor. My suggestion would have been take her to an empty parking lot to practice turns & parking. Our instructor says practicing parking counts towards his hours!
shanlee42
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM
My ex's DD always preferred to drive with me over her parents and stepdad. She used to tell me that they yelled and I didn't.

Sounds like you two had a great time.
spicy0425
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Brave soul!!  I already told my husband that when oldest SD gets her license, either him or a teacher will drive with her.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Woohoo! Now can you teach my SD? lol Lord knows, I can't give her riding instruction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:39 AM

The best thing a parent can do for a kid who just obtained a learners permit is to let them drive everywhere and all the time. You want these kids to have as much time as possible behind the wheel with you because soon it will be without you.

I had my daughter drive me everywhere from 15 to 16. Even times when she just wanted me to do it.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I am an utter failure here.  DD19 does not even have a permit and DD16 is scared to drive, is terrible and only has about 10 hours behind the wheel.  And she has had her permit since she was 15.

Quoting baparrot2:

The best thing a parent can do for a kid who just obtained a learners permit is to let them drive everywhere and all the time. You want these kids to have as much time as possible behind the wheel with you because soon it will be without you.

I had my daughter drive me everywhere from 15 to 16. Even times when she just wanted me to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN