Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How can we get BM to stop suing DH?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
  • 18 Replies

DH just finished his 4th trial with BM.  Every single time DH has tried to settle with BM to no avail.  Every single time BM dragged the lawsuit out months and months, a year or a year and a half.  And DH has won every single time.  DH has full legal and physical custody of SKs, they only see BM 1 week a year, supervised.

I've been in SKs life for 6.5 years, they are doing well, they've had a lot of therapy and DH has really worked to get them to where they are today (with my help :)).

I really don't care that BM does not pay CS, she never did, even when it was ordered.  I don't care that BM never visits her kids or offers to see them even when she is in town.  I just can't stand that she sues DH over and over with what are basically lies. 

For example (and this is just a small example because its just a motion, not a full blown out trial) she just filed a motion saying she doesn't get her twice-a-week calls with the SKs.  This is a blatant lie and we have phone records to prove it.  But we still have to defend it, which involves a lawyer, which involves money and time, and its all based on a LIE!! 

The courts have tried to help defer her from suing by slapping BM with DH's lawyer fees but she doesn't and won't pay and the latest judge told DH's lawyer that he can't make her pay before she tries to sue him again.  Where is the justice here? 

I find myself so pissed off and angry about these law suits that I can't stand the mention of BM at all.  DH texted her the other day for SSs picture of the first day of camp and I flipped out.  Then DH was talking to me about the 'phone' motion and I flipped out again.

OK, maybe I'm wondering how I handle all this and maintain my sanity.  I really, really HATE this woman and I've never ever felt this hostile toward anyone before in my life.  I don't like what its doing to me so much that I am considering that we just separate so I can just be away from crazy people.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
4 moms liked this

In our country, a person has the legal right to sue.  You can't stop that. 

You can, however, decide to stop using a lawyer so it doesn't cost so much.  If the suits are frivilous, then they should be easy to defend against without one.  You can also continue to countersuit for the lawyer fees and for contempt on every single thing she does.  If she's getting the same treatment, she may stop. 

Whatever you do, don't let it seem like it bothers you, that'll just give her more reason to keep doing it. 

chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM
5 moms liked this
You can have your attorney request (on paper) that she be charged with frivilous lawsuits. In our state (GA) she would HAVE TO pay those attorney fees or go to jail.
spicy0425
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
3 moms liked this

Sue BM. Take her to court for "discrupting the kids' life and daily activities by falsely accusing the BF. "  Go ask your lawyer how to sue her and give her the taste of her own medicin. You can't stop a stupid unless something will hit them in the face to make them realize how stupid their actions are.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Counter sue her ass.  And Chasinrainbows is right, in GA if she doesn't pay those fees she was ordered to pay then she would be in jail.

Rae706
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM
^^^ ditto
OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Actually not a bad idea.  I didn't really think of that (duh) but I have no idea what to sue for.  Oh, guess I should start making up things to sue about!

Quoting GlockMom:

Counter sue her ass.  And Chasinrainbows is right, in GA if she doesn't pay those fees she was ordered to pay then she would be in jail.

RigPrincess85
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
This.

Quoting GlockMom:

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Quoting OvrMyHead:

Actually not a bad idea.  I didn't really think of that (duh) but I have no idea what to sue for.  Oh, guess I should start making up things to sue about!

Quoting GlockMom:

Defamation of character to start with.  Fraud, I am surew you can find several kinds there.  Frivolous lawsuits, another.

libelule
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe the next time you could ask the judge to sanction BM's lawyer for frivolous motions - this is basically a fine to the lawyer for bringing a case that has little to no merit - if the lawyer is sanctioned they will likely think twice about going back to court over silly little issues.

I'm not saying that this would definitely happen - it is entirely up the judge but it may be worth asking for (assuming that there are further lawsuits).

I feel your pain, DH and I have gone through this on a number of occasions. 

Good Luck!

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
I have no advice but these ladies sure do! I think it's great that try can help you out!

Sad that they know the answers:( but still it's great they can help you out! Hopefully it takes some of that "bm off the brain syndrome" off!!

Please try to use that energy on something else! Bm doesn't deserve it! Try to stay out of it. I know he's your dh and that's hard but it's helped me get bm off my mind. For someone that isn't really even seen,bm has to get out of your head mama!!:))

Maybe don't be around the case too much. If its all dumb just give your dh some advice and help but that's it?? I know easier said then done!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN