Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If your kids are invited over for dinner at a friend's house....

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
  • 170 Replies

...and you know your kid is a picky eater, do you:

A) Pack him/her something you know he/she will eat.

B) Let the parents of the friend know what your child's food preferences are (pizza, chicken fingers, PBJ only type stuff) and insist that be served else kid isn't coming.

C) Offer to chip in on a pizza because you know your kid will not eat anything the other home cooks.

D) Encourage your child to try whatever is presented and practice good manners.

My skids will try pretty much anything and have never really had major food aversions.  My SIL's kids are very picky so she usually will just tell us what we should fix.  As a kid myself, I was taught that you try/eat what you're presented with when you're a guest.  As a host, I try to ask ahead if people/kids have food preferences/dislikes so I can prepare something everyone will enjoy.

Just wondering what your typical plan of action is if you have a picky eater.

More on the background in another post.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Background:

A few couples, DH and I are getting together for dinner.  Only one other couple and us have kids and they're about the same ages (SD15, SD13 and friend's kid 10/11.)  After getting the okay from the girls as far as a pseudo babysitting sitch, I suggested to friend that all of the kids could just hang at our house as it's 2 min from the restaurant in case of issues.   I had already planned a dinner for that night that my skids can make themselves so asked friend if her kiddo would be okay with that.  She said, "Oh that's right, you guys eat healthy stuff.  I'll just grab McD's on the way." Well...that seemed kind of...odd to me so I suggested that I just order a pizza or something that they'll all like.

I'm not going to shove anything crazy down a kid's throat.  The kids and I had picked out a dinner that would be pretty easy for them to put together that they like and it was by no means crazy granola health nut or something--kind of the opposite, but easy.  (ham steaks w/ cherries, cheesy potatoes, green beans)

I have no issue ordering a pizza.  I had just already bought the stuff for the kids by the time we thought to invite the kiddo over.

I'm used to picky eaters w/ the cousins and all, but there is a reason we rarely had them over for dinner at our house.  LOL

yryssa1
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
D. Although if it was me, I would ask if there are food preferences when my DD would have a friend over for dinner. I know not every parent is like that so if my daughter was invited somewhere, I'd tell her to try to eat what they make and don't complain :)
spicy0425
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Step kids are seriously picky eaters. But when they eat at their friends ' house, they eat everything because it is fun to have food and to play with their friends. So I don't pack anything for them.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM
13 moms liked this
I don't ask. I don't cater to picky eaters. Eat what is served or don't eat what is served and bring your own food. If she wanted to bring McD's that would have been fine.

The whole "oh yeah, you guys eat healthy" was kinda shitty. She should be ashamed for catering to her child in such an unhealthy way.
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM
3 moms liked this

If my kid (the age of your stepkids) is invited to a friend's house for dinner...

I say great, have fun, don't forget to thank the host(ess).

and think nothing more about it.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting GlockMom:

The whole "oh yeah, you guys eat healthy" was kinda shitty. She should be ashamed for catering to her child in such an unhealthy way.

I don't think she was being shitty.  She is disappointed about it as well. It's a complicated situation. But it did take me a bit by surprise.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM
5 moms liked this

Like you, I was taught to be polite and at least eat a few bites of everything served, even if it's something I hate.  The only exception would meat for a vegetarian or food allergies IMO.

My kids know better than to act picky at another person's house!

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Same here. 

Quoting GlockMom:

I don't ask. I don't cater to picky eaters. Eat what is served or don't eat what is served and bring your own food. If she wanted to bring McD's that would have been fine.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:32 PM
3 moms liked this
She shouldn't be disappointed. She is the one who has fed them and conditioned them to eat the way they eat. I don't fight food battles but I also don't cater. If my kids don't like their meal they can either not eat or make themselves an alternate meal. I would never stop at a junk food place to grab them something. By doing that she is conditioning them to be rude guests as adults.

She may be a lovely lady but she setting her kids up to be "those kids" that no one wants as guests.

Quoting Birdseed:

Quoting GlockMom:

I don't think she was being shitty.  She is disappointed about it as well. It's a complicated situation. But it did take me a bit by surprise.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I will feed the kids before taking them places sometimes. Especially with YSD. She is so brutally honest and often just won't eat. She's not really picky but intense and it takes a lot to work her through things. She only goes a few places without us. Only to people that accept her for the PITA kid she is. I keep telling myself that someday her strong willed nature will be a great attribute.

But we do work really hard on trying things politely and thanking people even if you don't like them. They are younger so there is hope.

As for the kids that come here I try to cook kid friendly meals. Or at least ones I know my kids eat without fussing. OSD has one friend that basically eats nothing but ramen. We usually try to get her to eat what we're having, but then let her fix something if she's still hungry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN