Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How late do you let your kids sleep in in the summer?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM
  • 42 Replies

Dad and I typically leave for work by about 6:15/6:30AM so we're in bed at 10 and up at 5:30.  Due to some wonky work schedule swaps, I have been home a few mornings this week.  I kid you not, the kiddos have not been getting out of bed til 11 or later.  I knew they were sleeping in, but didn't realize it was THAT late.  

Aside from walking the dogs or getting started on their laundry (which is supposed to be done BEFORE we get home), there's nothing they really need to be up for.  They're not staying up late--they usually go to bed when we do.  And since they really have no chores or responsibilities anymore, I guess there's no harm in letting them sleep the day away.  

The only issue that I have with it is that they are supposed to be taking the dogs on their long walk on the days that I work.  It's so hot/humid here that if you don't do that early in the morning, you simply can''t without risk of heat stroke to the dogs and humans alike.  So the dogs have not been getting their long walks--just their two 15 min ones in the a.m. before I go to work and another short one when I get home.  I'm hiring a dog walker starting next week because in addition to the walks, the kids aren't paying very good attention to the pups and getting them out to potty and I'm tired of the messes.  But that's kind of a separate thing.

So...how late do you let your kids sleep in?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofjkkc
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
For this month my boys are in a summer program Monday-Thursday so they are up at 7am. Friday-Sunday they dont have a set time but are usually up by 9. Sometimes my son will climb in bed with me on the weekends and lay with me and dh until 10.
LoveMy2x4
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My kids have to get up early because of camp and going to a sitter so I can work. 

SD11 texted me the other day and she had just woken up. It was 12:30! SS14 is still in his room when I get home from work at 5. All his chores are night time ones aside from taking care of the dogs. He's been doing that, but they also then just hang in his room with him while he plays his video games.

But if they have nothing to do, and cant go anywhere, I guess it really doesnt matter. I was the same way when I was a teen.

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What were you doing with the dogs and their "long walks" before the skids came?

Ms.Gwen
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM
We keep the kids up late in the hopes that they will sleep in longer. Unfortunately atleast one of them is always up at sunrise and soon wakes the others.
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I did them.  Or I had a dog walker.  But the kids and DH insisted that they could handle it and I could pay them instead.  They're not getting the job done. So I'm going to go back to hiring the dog walker.

Quoting baparrot2:

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM

There you go. You just answered your own question.

Quoting Birdseed:

I did them.  Or I had a dog walker.  But the kids and DH insisted that they could handle it and I could pay them instead.  They're not getting the job done. So I'm going to go back to hiring the dog walker.

Quoting baparrot2:

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Quoting LoveMy2x4:

But if they have nothing to do, and cant go anywhere, I guess it really doesnt matter. I was the same way when I was a teen.

We've got the pool, the park, the lake w/ the canoes and paddle boats, the tennis court, etc.  And SD15 said she wanted to get a job.  SD13 said she wants to babysit.  But not much has happened w/ any of that yet.  It's mostly get up at 11 or 12, eat, go back to their rooms, listen to music, watch some TV, eat, etc etc.  LOL  

megz0511
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I get them up around 9:30 or a little later if they went to bed later. They're usually in bed by 10:30 or 11 so 9:30 is a lot of sleep.
Pero3
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

During term time, DD usually gets up at 6 to turn out the horse. In the summer, I let her sleep as long as she wants ... though she never gets up much later than 7. I guess it's in her system!

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:34 AM

what is this "sleeping in" you speak of?

first off my daughter goes to school year round-she sleeps in til maybe MAYBE 8am on the weekends.

the stepkids are up no later then 7-730am

MOM however-would LOVE to sleep in!

If I can sleep til 730-8am every day I'd be a happy mommy.

DH sleeps til noon-1pm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)