Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

addicted to video games

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM
  • 17 Replies
Any one elses skids addicted to video games?
My ss 10 is ADDICTED to minecraft. I dont get it. What happened to playing outside as a kid lol?
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Gwen
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Ss11 is totally addicted. I just chose not to do that with him when he's at our house. We plan activities, crafts, baking, water balloon fights, bike rides etc etc

When I'm sufficiently wore out from spending time with the skids, then they get to play video games... For about 20-30mins just before bed.
progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
When SS started to get an attitude regarding videogames (arguing for more time, throwing a fit if he couldn't play, etc.) we turned them off, and sent him outside.

He hasn't played anything in months, and when he does play it's a special treat. He's not huge on going outside, but lately DH have been pushing outside activities. SS loves to ride his bike and play ninjas with the dog.
momofjkkc
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I have a rule that they have to do atleast 30mins a day of reading and chores have to be done before they turn on their ds. And they aren't allowed to be on it for more than an hour a day (even than I think is too long). The only time I will make an exception is if we are driving , because it keeps them quiet so I can focuse on the road. Or if they get a new game, which isn't very often, I'll give them an extra hour the first day.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep both DS and DH. DH is now spending his time making games.
kim8934
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM

both of my kids were addicted in their teen years...I don't get it either.

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I wouldn't say they are addicted, but they get bored so easily. Some days I let them play till they get tired of it and others they don't get to play at all. I always encourage them to play with friends instead.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

SS will not choose to do anything else if there are video games or TV available.  Because he is also quite bad about pausing his show or putting his game down in a reasonable time frame when asked do something, he often finds himself grounded from all electronics.  He doesn't seem to miss the games and TV when they're not available to him.  He can burn through books like nobody's business, finishing long chapter novels quicker than I can get my hands on the sequels for him.  And he has a blast playing outside, swimming, and exploring.  He just cannot seem to divert his own attention away from any type of screen.

DDDaysh
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:02 PM

No...  DS is addicted to legos!  

He does like video games, and goes through periods where he'll spend hours on them.  It's pretty rare though.  Alot of times he'll go weeks between picking it up.  

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM
My SS's would play Xbox all day if we let them lol. After they've been playing a while either DH or myself will tell them to save and play something other than a video game
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM
YSS loves Legos too I think he has them coming out of his ears lol

Quoting DDDaysh:

No...  DS is addicted to legos!  

He does like video games, and goes through periods where he'll spend hours on them.  It's pretty rare though.  Alot of times he'll go weeks between picking it up.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)