Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

from stepmother to stepgrandparent

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM
  • 6 Replies

Being a stepmother wasn't so difficult for me. I have a wonderful relationship with my kids a civil respectful relationship with their mother. Have to say being stepgrandma might be a bit more difficult. I can already see the competition between my sons mom and my daughter in-laws mom for the babys and she's only a week old. I'm afraid I'll be left out. :/
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
suzer52
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

My advice is to be patient.  As a step grandma it I s all about the kids, they don't know the difference between biological and step.  You can have a wonderful relationship just be present and fun!

Humility1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I hear you cause wow you are still so young. I think it would be good for you to still have weekly time like with your hubby, this will help you feel more solid and loved by hubby! I just turned 31 and gosh being a stepmom is so hard for me. Holidays, birthdays, are difficult for me because I don't get along with stepson's grandmother. My stepson's biomom is not involved at all. Well take care, and God bless:)
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh man. I see that. I've seen that in nearly every family I've ever known. My mother is very jealous. I love her to pieces but she is very possessive of her babies. I've had two mother in laws and she doesn't like either of them lol she doesn't like to share her babies. She doesn't like my brothers wife's family either. It's crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cali_rose
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Very true! Hopefully I'll be able to have the same kind of relationship with my granddaughter as I do with mykids. thanks for the support I'm gonna need it!
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

The only grandma we've had those jealousy issues from is my MIL. Interestin enough, all of the kids prefer my parents because they don't play those types of games.

BM's mom is a bit posessive/jealous of SD (SD is her only grandchild and likely will be her only grandchild, BM refuses to have any more children and BM's sister cannot have children).

SD loves all of her grandparents, but seems to have a better relationship with my parents versus her other grandparents. My parents have been a part of SD's life since she was a year and a half old, so in her memory, they've ALWAYS been there.

I say just be the "normal" one. Enjoy your time together, and truly bond with your grandchild :) 

cali_rose
by Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Thats what I think too. My step kids were 10 and 7 when I met them. They lived with us 70% of the time. Now they r 23 and 20. I was never able to have any of my own. So I'm looking forward to being a grandma, and not be so over bearing.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

The only grandma we've had those jealousy issues from is my MIL. Interestin enough, all of the kids prefer my parents because they don't play those types of games.

BM's mom is a bit posessive/jealous of SD (SD is her only grandchild and likely will be her only grandchild, BM refuses to have any more children and BM's sister cannot have children).

SD loves all of her grandparents, but seems to have a better relationship with my parents versus her other grandparents. My parents have been a part of SD's life since she was a year and a half old, so in her memory, they've ALWAYS been there.

I say just be the "normal" one. Enjoy your time together, and truly bond with your grandchild :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)