Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Grah!

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

So I'm super irritated.

We just got a letter from SD's school today saying that she can't start school this year until we re-immunize her. Now, I have no problem with vaccinations. All my kiddos get them. Apparently BM had trouble counting out 8 weeks between her second and third hep B shots, though (she only waited 4 weeks, so it doesn't count - because the series was started/given in 2008, she has to redo the whole thing). I called and let her know that SD has to redo the series and asked if she could get it started where SD is with her (she lives around 1,200 miles away). Offered up the insurance info so she won't have to pay anything, and she doesn't work, so I know it's not like she has to miss a shift or anything to do it. Just trying to make SD miss a minimal amount of school.

The pain in the butt is that not only won't she take SD to get the series started again, she flat-out said (after laughing) "Oh, I'm gonna use that!" She's appealing the court's decision to give us custody right now, and I got a nice long lecture about how there's no way they'll let us keep the modified custody if she has to miss so much school for her shots.

I'm so aggravated right now.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't vax my kids so this freaks me out.  Lol. 

If it were me, I would just sign the waiver at the school refusing to vaccinate so that your SD doesn't have to miss any school and then go ahead and vaccinate according to whichever schedule you think works best. 

Happily Married | BM to DD13  DD13  DD12 | Mom to DS7 & DS4 | CP | Not a SM

packermomof2
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Is it really all her fault or does your husband not now where the doctor's office is and needs you to do this now since it wasn't done the first time around?

Leigh84
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Maybe your DH could ask her to send sd back a day or 2 early so she doesn't miss school if she won't take her to get it done. It does sound like she's trying to be a pain in the butt tho. I wouldn't worry about it. If she's appealing the courts decision for your DH to have custody and your sd misses school over it the judge will likely want to know why BM wasn't able to get it done since sd was w/her.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

can't you just get a titer to see if she has the antibodies?

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM

yeah, you should be able to make the waiver work too.  Just be careful how you write it up.

Quoting KnowItAll:

If it were me, I would just sign the waiver at the school refusing to vaccinate so that your SD doesn't have to miss any school and then go ahead and vaccinate according to whichever schedule you think works best. 

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

and this-- if your DH starts the series over when she gets back, she should be fine.

Quoting packermomof2:

Is it really all her fault or does your husband not now where the doctor's office is and needs you to do this now since it wasn't done the first time around?

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I would do the waiver thing that a poster mentioned above. Seems like the easiest route.

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:30 PM
this. sign the waiver .

Quoting KnowItAll:

hspear
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I didn't know there WAS a waiver for that. The letter says it's a state mandate that she have them :-/

I'll definitely be calling the school Monday to see if we can do that. I don't want her to have to miss any school. She already missed a month last year when we were first awarded custody because BM wouldn't give us the medical records and school transcripts we needed. Thanks! 

Quoting KnowItAll:

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM
Vaccines are never mandatory. There is always a way out. The schools want you to vax so they don't tell you that.

Quoting hspear:

I didn't know there WAS a waiver for that. The letter says it's a state mandate that she have them :-/

I'll definitely be calling the school Monday to see if we can do that. I don't want her to have to miss any school. She already missed a month last year when we were first awarded custody because BM wouldn't give us the medical records and school transcripts we needed. Thanks! 

Quoting KnowItAll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)