Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legally....whats the next step?

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
  • 14 Replies
we have made repeated reports to social services concerning my step daughter's lack of care at her mothers. just a few things include being molested, mom being on drugs, mom spending time in treatment and several injuries she has come with. these are just a FEW concerns. when bm takes sd, she finds someone else to babysit. she never actually has her overnight even. we have fought and fought for this child. social services exact words to us, "we can not do anything until one of her children are injured, hopefully they don't get hurt too bad." who is higher up than social services/cps?? where do we go from here? we have tried to hire a lawyer but are completely FLAT broke.
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chasinrainbows
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Are all these things documented? Are there reports? Records?
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
A lawyer is your only option. If CPS isn't going to do anything because they haven't found any of the accusations to be valid, hiring a lawyer is really the only way you can get the ball rolling. Of course your husband could file pro se and not hire an attorney. He would really need to be dedicated to doing the research and educating himself on the court system in your area. We have a great law library where I live and I've found that sometimes teaming up with another parent that has been through the same court system has helped some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snickerdoodle86
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you checked out the web site Father's for equal rights? They have attorneys who will represent you for a much smaller fee.

stashia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Quoting snickerdoodle86:

Have you checked out the web site Father's for equal rights? They have attorneys who will represent you for a much smaller fee.

thanks!! what state is that for?? ill check it out asap!!!!!!!
snickerdoodle86
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM
I know for sure Texas. I'm not sure if they do other states.

Quoting stashia:

Quoting snickerdoodle86:

thanks!! what state is that for?? ill check it out asap!!!!!!!

pepper504
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Your local State Bar Association would also have attorneys on a list who do pro bono cases as well. 

JoshRachelsMAMA
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Molestation is not an injury?
Boobear110
by Audra on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Being molested doesn't rate being taken out of the home? 

Was it founded? 

stashia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Molestation is not an injury?

apparently not.  plus they say mom didn't do it, so even though she tried to protect her boyfriend, she did nothing wrong according to cps.  seriously i just dont understand!!  we are so stressed.  is there someone "higher up" that cps/social services?  can i write letters to congressmen or the attorney general explaining how no one will help this child?  every time she goes home we wonder if we will ever see her alive again.  could you imagine how it would feel to not be able to protect your own child :'(

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

If I were  your husband I would file a motion to modify custody, pro se. The forms he would need are available on-line. As someone above said, he would have to do some research. He might also sit in on a custody case at the local court, just show up there and watch the court proceedings.

A place to start would be to call lawyers for a 'free consultation." Act like  you are going to hire a lawyer, ask all kinds of questsions, then tell them you will get back to them after the free consultation. They will give  him tons of information in these free sessions, such as, what he can use as evidence and what he can't, and legal strategy. Then, he can use that information when he files pro se.

This is a lot of work and not something he can half-ass. So, he would have to be committed to this course of action.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured