Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Reimbursement for counseling?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM
  • 17 Replies

SS13 is undergoing therapy - not court ordered, but BM approved and supported, but she will not reimburse DH for her percentage of this cost as she does not believe this is a "medical expense." She is ordered to pay her percentage of all "medical expenses" but, of course, that term is very vague and subjective.

If this matter was brought to court as an issue, would "counseling" or "therapy" fall under "medical expense" or not?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I would say yes. Most medical insurances cover it to some point.
yryssa1
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I would think it falls under 'medical expenses' since it is for Mental Health. I personally think she should help pay no matter what.
JLang
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It's her kid too so she SHOULD help pay. It shouldn't matter if it is court ordered or not. It really pisses me off when parents only support their kids at the minimum....

OvrMyHead
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

This did count for my SKs under medical expenses that should be divided between DH and BM.  Of course BM never paid her share but was supposed to.

Raspberry393
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

It probably would be considered a medical expense..... but , yes the dreaded but....

Would BM withdrawl approval and support if you push through the courts she has to pay?  If the answer is yes.... which is more important, her paying or SS going to counseling?  I'm not saying it's right from a moral perspective- I'm just saying make sure to look at the whole picture.

DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

What is the counseling and therapy for?  In most cases this would count as a medical expense.  The only way I could see it not being that way is if it's specifically family counseling for your blended family or for your DH and SS to work out issues specific to their relationship.  Even then, it could go either way. 

As Raspberry says though...  if you need BM's continuing consent to the therapy, it might not be worth pursuing the money.  The big picture always has to be examined. 

NonSMom
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting DDDaysh:

What is the counseling and therapy for?  In most cases this would count as a medical expense.  The only way I could see it not being that way is if it's specifically family counseling for your blended family or for your DH and SS to work out issues specific to their relationship.  Even then, it could go either way. 

As Raspberry says though...  if you need BM's continuing consent to the therapy, it might not be worth pursuing the money.  The big picture always has to be examined. 

SS is seeing this behavioral therapist for problems adjusting and coping with his parent's divorce (years ago) and our marriage, and also his reactions/response to BM not coping well with it all, as well.   Everyone loves this therapist and agrees it's beneficial.  DH takes SS to see the therapist on his parenting time, (because BM doesn't want to pay for it on her time, of course) so maybe that makes it a gray area, but they discuss and address issues at BMs home too. They have 50/50 EOW.  

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
It probably is. How much would she have to reimburse you? If its not a lot I would say p/and choose your battles. On the other hand if it is a lot of money we're talking about your DH would have to take her to court if she won't pay.
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
It is absolutely under the "medical expenses" umbrella.
amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Does your SS's medical insurance pay anything on it? Do they even get billed?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)