Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

EUREKA!!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have figured it out....I think.

I have been trying to figure out how to make my kids listen and behave and do what they're told....I finally figured it out. Today in taking them to babysitters house, they left their swimsuits on the table instead of grabbing them RIGHT after I said "get your swimsuits and put them in this bag and lets go." We get to sitter's and no swimsuits. Normally, I would say "guess you wont be swimming then" but since they also left the water on all night from watering plants....I decided something else should be in order. BUT WHAT you ask? I turned around and drove home to get said swimmy suits. Then LIGHTBULB! I tell the girls that they are going to start paying for the money they waste. So since I had to waste gas...they each have to give me $5 out of their piggy banks when we get home today. I obviously wont spend their money but I will put it up and make them think I'm using it. If they leave the water on then they will have to pay for that wasted water. If they don't eat their snack or dinner or whatever then they can pay for that too....ruining clothes (not ones they grow out of or something but like draw on them or whatever), toys, etc...they'll be broke today LOL! IDK if it'll work but I'm hoping they'll get the message. We'll see. Am I being too harsh?

I asked them if it sounded fair and they both said no so I guess maybe this will work.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Good luck. Lol.
dbush0584
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Yeah Im sure Ill need it...I just don't know what else to do!

Quoting KnowItAll:

Good luck. Lol.

....ClvrScn.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

LOL - I got so tired of my son want want want - ing and never contributing or throwing tantrums over household chores.

Taking stuff away, video games, tv, toys etc. doesn't really work with him. So now - for every task he does, he gets a nickle. He has 20 tasks a day. From brushing his teeth, to vacuuming and everything in between. He can earn up to $5 a week and has to put it in his bank account. Then, when he has saved enough, he can get what he wants.

This has been working. No tantrums lately. Money is a motivator.

Good luck, I hope that it works.

dbush0584
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

lol I tried giving them money too...nothing lol

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

LOL - I got so tired of my son want want want - ing and never contributing or throwing tantrums over household chores.

Taking stuff away, video games, tv, toys etc. doesn't really work with him. So now - for every task he does, he gets a nickle. He has 20 tasks a day. From brushing his teeth, to vacuuming and everything in between. He can earn up to $5 a week and has to put it in his bank account. Then, when he has saved enough, he can get what he wants.

ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Good Luck! It may work!! Keep us updated!

I have to tell SS5 7000 times a day not to jump on the furniture...maybe instead of a timeout everytime...I should try this! lol

LoveMy2x4
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM

If he throws a tantrum, does he have to give you money back?

Im curious because I like this idea and might do it with my son. You must have a lot of nickels sitting around though!!

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

I solved the jumping on the sofa thing by buying a cheap small trampoline at Walmart (think it cost $20), its in the excercise department, I think its for jogging.  Anyway, we now have this trampoline in the living room and it gets used all the time.  Lifesaver.  Doesn't look pretty but that is not my goal.

Quoting ChelseNichole:

I have to tell SS5 7000 times a day not to jump on the furniture...maybe instead of a timeout everytime...I should try this! lol

Married, CSM to SD14 & SS12, CBM to DS12 & DD9

ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmm maybe I shoud invest in one of those! I want him to understand furniture cost money, and we work hard for the things we have. and not just in our home. I tell him the same for the babysitters, BM's, his grandparents, etc.  This may work though. Thanks for the idea!

Quoting OvrMyHead:

I solved the jumping on the sofa thing by buying a cheap small trampoline at Walmart (think it cost $20), its in the excercise department, I think its for jogging.  Anyway, we now have this trampoline in the living room and it gets used all the time.  Lifesaver.  Doesn't look pretty but that is not my goal.

Quoting ChelseNichole:

pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I do this.  It was the only thing that worked.  Mine are 13, 15, and 17 though.  I dont really mess with it with the skids since they really dont have money at our house and they are younger too.  Plus they arent there all the time. 

If they dont put their clothes away and I find folded clothes in the hamper because they fell on their floor and I have to rewash clean colthes - they pay for the detertent, electricity and water.  If they mess up clothes that I paid for, they have to pay me resale shop price back for it.  They leave towels in their room after a shower, they pay me to go get them and wash them.

It works well for us for the most part.  Sometimes they go so long wtihout having to pay that they forget and it is a shock when I tell them how much they owe me for one day of not complying...lol

....ClvrScn.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

No - he just doesn't earn that nickle. Just like if you don't do your job, you don't get paid - but they don't take the money back that you already earned.

And yes, every payday, I go to the bank and I get 5 dollars in nickles ( paid weekly). I just put them all in a jar on top of my fridge, and then when he earns them, he puts them in his money counter. Then when we go to the bank the next Friday, we deposit them into his account and I withdrawl them from my account. LOL.

It seems redundent, because it's like pete and repete but it really works. He likes going to the bank. He likes filling out a deposit slip and getting an account balance. He hasn't made a withdrawal yet - he likes watching the numbers go up

Now DH does let him dip into it sometimes during the week - it aggrivates me, but I figure, it's his, he earned it. Usually it's because he wants a gatorade from the fountain at the gas station. They are 70 cents. It's not the spending that aggravates me - it's that I'm trying to teach him SAVING for what you want and not to spend frivolously. But 70 cents a week on a gatorade is not my hill to die on lol

Quoting LoveMy2x4:

If he throws a tantrum, does he have to give you money back?

Im curious because I like this idea and might do it with my son. You must have a lot of nickels sitting around though!!

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)