Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

7 year old still wets the bed

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM
  • 85 Replies

My boyfriends daughter (7 years old), still wets the bed EVERY NIGHT. What makes it worse is that she is ok with it. She likes to wear diapers to bed and when she has an accident she is totally ok sitting in her own filth. We have tried getting her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and it still dosent help. We have tried cutting out evening liquids and limiting the over all number of liquids each day but are still having problems. How should this be handled?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Take her to the doctor. It could be a medical issue....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Put a plastic sheet / mattress protector under her top sheet, and keep her in pull-ups. 

My SS8 has only recently (past few months) started having consecutive dry nights.  His little body just doesn't wake up.  It's a bladder-to-brain signal issue, not a defiance.  And at 7, there are more exciting things to do than worry about pee, so while it is a gross to sit around in soiled pajamas, that's just kid for you.  Look into bedwetting alarms.  My SS hated wearing his, but they're about the only proven thing that speeds up training the brain to wake up in response to a bladder signals.  Denying liquids and scolding won't get you anywhere.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

let her wear the diaper to bed, it's good that she is ok with it, because she needs it.

your boyfriend might look into getting her evaluated for diabetes insipidus. but other than that, she will probably outgrow this bedwetting. it's best to avoid making too big a deal out of it, so as to avoid shame.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like a medical issue.... leave the judgement behind.

Christyabbey
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I totally understand this...My 14 yro SS does the same thing. It doesn't bother him that he wets or smells like pee all the time. We have tried everything too. We had him on desmopressin for awhile and it worked but then his body got used to it and it stopped. Then we tried the nasal type..same thing happened. I have had him to dr more times than I can count..sorry I don't have any answers but I absolutely know how you feel!!!

Quoting saxgirl37:

My boyfriends daughter (7 years old), still wets the bed EVERY NIGHT. What makes it worse is that she is ok with it. She likes to wear diapers to bed and when she has an accident she is totally ok sitting in her own filth. We have tried getting her up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and it still dosent help. We have tried cutting out evening liquids and limiting the over all number of liquids each day but are still having problems. How should this be handled?

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this

My 7 almost 8 year old still wets the bed. We cut out liquids after dinner etc. She is fine with wearing a pull up because she needs it. I wouldn't want my child to be ashamed of something she can't help. It could be a medical issue but it's probably not. My daughters peditrician says that it's not uncommon for a child to still have accidents on a regular basis at their age. It's something they eventually grow out of. The only way to "cure" it right away is to medicate which isn't for long time use. It is for when they go to camp for a week or something like that.

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:58 PM

My SS did this until he was around 8 or 9.  He started taking medicene at night for this and he stopped.  After a while we took him off the medicene.

twinklebites
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:09 PM
3 moms liked this

My almost 7 you DS still wets the bed it is still with in the range of normal like it or not. Making her feel ashamed or wrong for "sitting in her own filth " is deplorable! You should handle anything  Bf should handle it with love and compassion, and maybe just maybe researching it would be benificial.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I wet the bed until I was 13.  Oh yeah, you read that 13 damn years old!

Take her to the dr. Could be something that they can do.

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Leave the kid in diapers until she grows out of it.  At 7, approximately 1 in 10 kids still wet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)