Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Would any of you give your 14 yr old a credit card?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM
  • 37 Replies
BM just called OSS and said she is putting him as a authorized user on her credit card. I guess I'm not understanding why, b/c if he needs something DH is usually the one who buys it for him. The boy does not go w/o by any means. DH (who is the cp) is not happy b/c BM doesn't have the best track record for paying her bills and he is worried she will hurt his credit when he becomes an adult. I'm not sure if there is anything he can do about it tho.

Does anyone else understand this? If she does default on the credit card would it hurt his credit when he becomes an adult?
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Doesn't it vary state to state?  I guess I just don't understand giving him a credit card period but okay, if that's what she wants to do. If my kids got an allowance I would probaly keep a debit card for them, haven't really thought that one out.

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

BUMP!

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I think if he's just an "authorized user" it doesn't do anything to his credit. 

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I could understand a debit card or a pre-paid card but this is a real credit card that she already carries a balance on

Quoting MrsMiles85:

Doesn't it vary state to state?  I guess I just don't understand giving him a credit card period but okay, if that's what she wants to do. If my kids got an allowance I would probaly keep a debit card for them, haven't really thought that one out.

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Well that's a relief

Quoting DDDaysh:

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

You could look on the back of the card and call the number.  They might be able to tell you some general information like that.   

Quoting Leigh84:

Well that's a relief

Quoting DDDaysh:

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I don't know the legalities of this. but I would imagine a 14 yo, being a minor, could not be held liable for any charges.

However it's possible the credit card company wouldn't know he's a minor and might report him to the credit agencies anyway. 

I think I would be concerned about this, at least concerned enough to make some phone calls and find out what the risk exposure is.

wyomom4
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

My understanding is an authorized user is not the same as being a joint account. An authorized user has a card with their name on it but they are not on the account per se. I am an authorized user on my dh's credit card, and my name is not on the bill and it doesn't show up on my credit report either.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

That might depend on the card company. 

When DH and I got married, I added him as an authorized user on an existing card.  Not long afterward, he pulled an annual credit report, and lo and behold, that card shows up as a revolving account on his report.  I'm not sure how that happened because I only requested a card in his name, never gave his SSN or any other info. 

So anyway, that's definitely something I would look into, especially if BM doesn't pay her bills.  I have a friend whose credit was ruined while she was still a minor because her dad used her SSN to open accounts he then didn't pay.  Being underage is no protection against adult financial incompetency or even deliberate ID theft by a parent.  Unfortunately.

Quoting DDDaysh:

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:45 PM

That is really weird! 

Quoting Derdriu:

That might depend on the card company. 

When DH and I got married, I added him as an authorized user on an existing card.  Not long afterward, he pulled an annual credit report, and lo and behold, that card shows up as a revolving account on his report.  I'm not sure how that happened because I only requested a card in his name, never gave his SSN or any other info. 

So anyway, that's definitely something I would look into, especially if BM doesn't pay her bills.  I have a friend whose credit was ruined while she was still a minor because her dad used her SSN to open accounts he then didn't pay.  Being underage is no protection against adult financial incompetency or even deliberate ID theft by a parent.  Unfortunately.

Quoting DDDaysh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN