Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Would you allow them to do it? ETA

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 20 Replies

Here's the scenario:

Ex texts & asks "Can B(13yoDD) & R(12yoDD) come over 9-4 Friday & babysit A(2yo half brother)? You could pick them after you get off work." 

Mind you they barely know A (even though he is 2 they just met him this past April). And it would be at ex's apartment. 

Based on this info alone would you agree to it?

ETA: Thank you ladies for responding. 

To answer some questions:

- no this is NOT because it's ex's kid.

- my girls have NOT babysat before other than their 4yo brother for at the most an hour where I go to the store

- ex lives in an apartment community, I have serious doubts he knows his neighbors well enough to trust they can help if needed

- it's in an unsafe area

- the GF will be working as well as my ex & I would be the closest person available in case of emergency

- girls would be left with GF for at least an hour before I get there. The oldest DD doesn't like her at all but tolerates her because of her dad

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nlvonblah
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had my SK's stay with my DH's and my son here at our house just for short periods of time.  If my SD was babysitting age, yes, I would ask her to baby sit and I would pay her, too.  When she is old enough I am going to pay for her babysitting classes so she can babysit. I say go for it.  But I think they should establish some sort of payment agreement.  Lots of luck..  N

Rae706
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Depends on the maturity of the girls, but probably by that age.
stepmominhell
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Considering they are 13 and 12, me personally - no I would not.
If there was a parent next door that or something if they needed something, then it would be fine. Depending on how close you are when this question is coming to you, but with the fact that it says you can pick them up after you get off work... No, I wouldn't like that idea. If anything no matter how small goes wrong, you and both of the kids would be blamed. I don't think it would be a good idea. Then again, it's just my opinion.
yryssa1
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I would rather it be at my house and would only agree if they get paid.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM

no

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM

No. Only because that's a long time to be in charge of a 2 year old without an adult there.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Do they want to? Are they safe over there? If yes to both. Sure.
twinklebites
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Would you let them watch another 2 y/o ? or is this becasue it is EX child ? It really depends on the relationship of everyone involved.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Based on the info alone, my answer is "probably."

This assumes that the 13yo and 12yo are responsible and have some babysitting experience. 

but I think I would probably offer that they bring the 2yo to my house, and let the two girls babysit them at my house, because 9-4 is a pretty long time. They'd still be responsible for entertaining him, etc. but at least they'd have some supervision.

ETA: upon thinking about it, I'm changing my answer from "probably" to "possibly." 

Raspberry393
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM
9-4 is a long time. I'd want a shorter trial run first, where adults are away, but could be summoned quickly. Also depends on the girls if the girls want to and their maturity level.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN