Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dh making kids do chores but not his own sons...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi. Bm of 3 dds baby,10&11. Full time. SM of 2 SD's 13&17. Dh has them week on and off.

This is just a vent. My dh upset me today because he asked me to tell my girls to pick up the front yard(fireworks and cups). I told him-ok. Call OSS and tell him to pick up the backyard and the leaves I trimmed.

Dh-OSS can do that later or I will. Not right now it's too hot.

I'm like.. You idiot?! Don't you see you just asked the girls to clean up but then exclude your golden children?!? I didn't really say that but sigh... My dh has been off the ball lately and that upset me and makes more work for me. (Plus,SS already got the $$ and "forgot" to do the chore)

Grrrrr. These are the moments when I KNOW it was easier in an intact family and it bothers me that my dh doesn't see how that's not fair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM
My kids will do it but now I'll pay them double. Skids can clean something else or my dumb dh can clean it for them. I hope he has fun cleaning up stuff by himself plus work his 55 hours work week,all because he doesn't want to fight with his sons. (Teenager syndrome of being lazy. Lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

ugh. id have politely pointed it out. fortunately for me MY kids are slobby haha so i get to listen to the opposite side. although with 6 boys in the house i have given up trying while they are there. then when they leave he complains of the mess. i just look at him and walk away . lol

Bertieb
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I leave the kids laundry neatly folded in the laundry room for them. If DH see's his son's laundry there he picks it up and takes it to him. His son is 99.9% of the time sitting in bed watching tv. DH doesn't ask him to do a single thing but ride the mower once a week. Even then, DH goes outside and cleans up the grass mess he left on the porch. SS will be 19 in two weeks.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM
That's what I'm going to do when he gets home and asks where dinner! Lol. I don't mind doing everyone's laundry and cleaning almost everything else. It's not too bad but I'd like to spend that time playing w my baby or at least doing something else productive like scrubbing the grout! Lol.

What gets to me is really not the mess,but that the boys will end up being sloppy dhs one day. My brother is horrible! Lol. We catered to him.

I could do so much more if my dh just made them work some chores off that are not too hard! Grrrr. Lol

Quoting faerie75:

ugh. id have politely pointed it out. fortunately for me MY kids are slobby haha so i get to listen to the opposite side. although with 6 boys in the house i have given up trying while they are there. then when they leave he complains of the mess. i just look at him and walk away . lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:25 PM
I feel sorry for their wives or roommates! My home isn't too bad but I think thy everyone in a home should help out so they see what goes into a home and the hard work.

My yss seriously will say what do house wife's do all day?! I'm like really dude?! Lol.

My dh will clean it up or do it himself too. Idk why he's been such a sissy lately but I don't understand how he can work 2 overtones this week and not want help from the
Boys. :///

Quoting Bertieb:

I leave the kids laundry neatly folded in the laundry room for them. If DH see's his son's laundry there he picks it up and takes it to him. His son is 99.9% of the time sitting in bed watching tv. DH doesn't ask him to do a single thing but ride the mower once a week. Even then, DH goes outside and cleans up the grass mess he left on the porch. SS will be 19 in two weeks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bertieb
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Exactly!! Drives me nuts too. He knocks on his son's door and asks if he has any trash, he's taking the trashcan to the street! Why shouldn't son have that as his weekly chore, at least be responsible for moving his own trash out of his room! I asked DH yesterday to please tell SS to dry off his legs before getting out of the shower. My DD said the room is soaked, and I saw it first hand. The rug was soaked and water was puddled on the floor. All he has to do is reach for his towel and dry off a little before stepping out. The college roommates may not like to follow a soaking wet bathroom twice a day either.

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

I feel sorry for their wives or roommates! My home isn't too bad but I think thy everyone in a home should help out so they see what goes into a home and the hard work.

My yss seriously will say what do house wife's do all day?! I'm like really dude?! Lol.

My dh will clean it up or do it himself too. Idk why he's been such a sissy lately but I don't understand how he can work 2 overtones this week and not want help from the
Boys. :///

Quoting Bertieb:

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Oh hell no, that would be a no go.  Instead of sighing (because I have no problem with confrontation) I would have told him exactly what was on my mind.  Just this morning something similar happened.  The kids had wrecked the house (mine and his).  He told his daughter to sweep the toy room but had my kids picking up every room.  Oh no, my kids are on a good routine of everyone pitching in when it comes to the main rooms and picking up after themselves. I am not letting that go to crap and I am pretty animated when it comes to things like that. 

MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

BUMP!

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I wish I could speak up more and just make everyone do these simple things. I'm a sissy.

My dds are good at doing their chores and pitching in as well as long as I ask. They make a mess too but if they do and I find it,they have to pick up 10 extra things off the floor. So they have gotten better at it.

After we are done,then my dds can have fun time. I tell them,if you help me,then I am done sooner and that gives us more time together as a family or to do some fun stuff. They usually Like that.

I think dhs sometimes forget how to make all the kids do it,not just some.

Quoting MrsMiles85:

Oh hell no, that would be a no go.  Instead of sighing (because I have no problem with confrontation) I would have told him exactly what was on my mind.  Just this morning something similar happened.  The kids had wrecked the house (mine and his).  He told his daughter to sweep the toy room but had my kids picking up every room.  Oh no, my kids are on a good routine of everyone pitching in when it comes to the main rooms and picking up after themselves. I am not letting that go to crap and I am pretty animated when it comes to things like that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Frustrated10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell your Dh that your kids will be happy to pick up the front yard as soon as his kids do their chore. Nobody's special, nobody is excused from the house rules, AT ANY TIME. You need to speak up for the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured