Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Google voice

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 22 Replies

Ok ladies I have a question for some of you who use this feature. A little backstory to it....

SS says that BM's cell recently got shut off but she has another number "programmed" on her phone (different than what the phone company gave her) and she has been contacting him (calls and texts) with this number but he said she can only use it around wifi. 

So my question is this....If you have google voice and your cell provider disconnects your phone for nonpayment can you still use that phone with your google voice number?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM
Yes. Because there are apps for it and you can use it on mobile browser. If you have a wifi connection you can still use Internet services.

There are also a bunch of texting/ calling apps out there. Like text+ and textnow that you can use on wifi. Not many people know about the google voice feature.
tiniowien
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You can use the text system with wifi but the calling won't work, the google number calls the phone you have the account connected to in order to make a call. 

shaag
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Thank you. BM has not told DH that she doesn't have the cell number anymore so if he needed to get ahold of her in emergency he couldn't . I think I will try this out. It might come in quite handy  :)

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Yes. Because there are apps for it and you can use it on mobile browser. If you have a wifi connection you can still use Internet services.

There are also a bunch of texting/ calling apps out there. Like text+ and textnow that you can use on wifi. Not many people know about the google voice feature.

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM
We use google voice. It's very easy. I use the talkatone app on my iPhone. It's great.

Quoting shaag:

Thank you. BM has not told DH that she doesn't have the cell number anymore so if he needed to get ahold of her in emergency he couldn't . I think I will try this out. It might come in quite handy  :)

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

shaag
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM

See the funny thing is that my SS says BM can still call from that phone and number even though it is shut off. I tried to tell him that you can't because you have to have a provider but of course he doesn't believe me. ha ha

Quoting tiniowien:

You can use the text system with wifi but the calling won't work, the google number calls the phone you have the account connected to in order to make a call. 

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM
This is true, but you can bypass it if you download an app. You can call out on the app directly and when they call you, it comes thru on the app. Mine doesn't come to my actual number at all anymore.

Quoting tiniowien:

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Quoting tiniowien:

shaag
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM

so if you call the number that the cell provider gave them then they will receive that call?

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

This is true, but you can bypass it if you download an app. You can call out on the app directly and when they call you, it comes thru on the app. Mine doesn't come to my actual number at all anymore.

Quoting tiniowien:

tiniowien
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM

The cell provider would have the phone off unless for 911 calls; I also have the app on my phone It won't allow me to call off it either. 

Quoting shaag:

so if you call the number that the cell provider gave them then they will receive that call?

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting tiniowien:

mouthyhousewife
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:17 AM
No. You'd have to call the number google gave them.

Quoting shaag:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting tiniowien:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN