Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Photos, inspired by the S/O of photos

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 43 Replies

In that post both the OP, packermomof2, a BM, and newwife1, a SM, both seemed to think a SP shoud not take pictures of their stepchild (quoted below). 

I was pretty shocked by what I read, but it started me wondering if maybe I was the odd man out. I mean, I will readily admit that my family is picture crazy. We love preserving our memories through photos; I can literally see at least 15 photo albums from where I am sitting on the couch, and my living room walls and tables are all sporting framed photos of our family & friends. 

I took tons of family photos over the 4 day holiday weekend (at aunt's Thurs, SIL's Fri, sister's Sat, parents' today), and that includes SS. He is just as much a star of our annual "Year in Review" photo album as DH and I are, and he is prominently featured in frames throughout the house. I cannot imagine ever excluding him, but if I did (since this post got me thinking about it), I think it would break DH's heart! 

So what does everyone out there in internet land do? Do you include SK in your family photos? Or do you purposely exclude them from your tangible memories? 

Quoting packermomof2:

Quoting newwife1:

I've never even thought of taking a picture of my SS in the last 5 years lol.

I don't get what the big deal is with pictures.

If his father wants a pic of his kid I assume he will take one. 

And this here.  The last time my husband took a picture of my kids it was because I asked him to take one of my daughter up at bat because I was doing something else at the moment.  He has never just taken pictures to take pictures

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newstepmom61811
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
4 moms liked this

My SKs are family, married in family I adore...in all pictures and I proudly share privately with those close to me pictures of me and those I love in my family.

Frustrated10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM
3 moms liked this

This might seem ridiculous.......but heres a thought. If you don't want a sm to take pictures of your children, then perhaps you should have stayed married! Perhaps you should have worked harder at keeping your childs family intact.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:22 PM
I do not believe the post was about taking photos. It was more about posting them on Internet sites like Facebook. And for Leanne and Brandi - the subjects of the original discussion - they are in the public eye. How many celebrities try their hardest to protect their children from being plastered on TMZ and other Internet sites? Lots of them. That's why they get paid big bucks for exclusive photo shoots of their newborns.

Maybe Brandi wants to be careful about what photos are shared of her two young children because the entire world is going to see them. Maybe not. I am not concerned about my photos being plastered for the world to see because I'm literally a no body.

I used to not share photos of my son for personal reasons. Now that he is adopted and all of that is over, I don't really care who shares his photo. But for the first couple of years of life I asked friends and family not to ever post photos of him on Facebook. I also would check the box on the school forms that denied the school the permission to post photos of him on their website or use for advertising.

I don't think anyone is saying don't take family photos. I think this was about media sharing. Facebook, places like cafe mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh that is just ridiculous. Seriously. Not all of us wanted a divorce and expected to have another woman in the picture. I for one felt that I worked hard on a marriage that ultimately failed.

Quoting Frustrated10:

This might seem ridiculous.......but heres a thought. If you don't want a sm to take pictures of your children, then perhaps you should have stayed married! Perhaps you should have worked harder at keeping your childs family intact.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aeELE
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:40 PM

You are absolutely right, that post was not about taking photos. This post isn't about the original post though- it is specifically about the quotes, that I included, where a SM said that she has never once taken her SK's photo ("if DH wants a photo of his kid I assume he will take one") and a BM agreed, saying, "And this here." She then went on to elaborate how her DH has never taken a pic of her child that she didn't request he take. 

I don't care about "celebrities" bickering so they can get on mag covers at the checkout line (my opinion), and I certainly understand why "normal people" might want privacy, but that's not what they said in those quotes.

That's what floored me. 

How could the SM's quote be talking about media sharing photos when she stated she had never even Thought of taking her SK's picture? There'd be nothing to share. 

Quoting momof2ex1:

I do not believe the post was about taking photos. It was more about posting them on Internet sites like Facebook. And for Leanne and Brandi - the subjects of the original discussion - they are in the public eye. How many celebrities try their hardest to protect their children from being plastered on TMZ and other Internet sites? Lots of them. That's why they get paid big bucks for exclusive photo shoots of their newborns.

Maybe Brandi wants to be careful about what photos are shared of her two young children because the entire world is going to see them. Maybe not. I am not concerned about my photos being plastered for the world to see because I'm literally a no body.

I used to not share photos of my son for personal reasons. Now that he is adopted and all of that is over, I don't really care who shares his photo. But for the first couple of years of life I asked friends and family not to ever post photos of him on Facebook. I also would check the box on the school forms that denied the school the permission to post photos of him on their website or use for advertising.

I don't think anyone is saying don't take family photos. I think this was about media sharing. Facebook, places like cafe mom.

aeELE
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:45 PM

I agree. I have pictures up of my SIL & her husband's kids too. Those nieces and nephews have no relation to me except as married in family, and I love having their little faces up in our house with the rest of the fam too. 

Quoting newstepmom61811:

My SKs are family, married in family I adore...in all pictures and I proudly share privately with those close to me pictures of me and those I love in my family.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Sorry misunderstood.

Quoting aeELE:

You are absolutely right, that post was not about taking photos. This post isn't about the original post though- it is specifically about the quotes, that I included, where a SM said that she has never once taken her SK's photo ("if DH wants a photo of his kid I assume he will take one") and a BM agreed, saying, "And this here." She then went on to elaborate how her DH has never taken a pic of her child that she didn't request he take. 

I don't care about "celebrities" bickering so they can get on mag covers at the checkout line (my opinion), and I certainly understand why "normal people" might want privacy, but that's not what they said in those quotes.

That's what floored me. 

How could the SM's quote be talking about media sharing photos when she stated she had never even Thought of taking her SK's picture? There'd be nothing to share. 

Quoting momof2ex1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aeELE
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:02 AM

No worries ;) 

I'm glad that things have gotten better in regard to your son and photo sharing. I do, personally, understand how people can use FB in unsavory ways, and it sucks. 

Quoting momof2ex1:

Sorry misunderstood.

Quoting aeELE:

That's what floored me. 

Quoting momof2ex1:

packermomof2
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Whoa.  I never said a SP isn't allowed to do it.  I said my husband doesn't do it.  BIG difference there.  

IF he took them he'd not post them because he would have no reason to do so, especially if one of the parents asked him not to do so.  He's respectful of both parents even if he doesn't like one

packermomof2
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Frustrated10:

You mean let him continue to beat and rape me?  Just to keep his next victim from taking pictures of my kids?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured