Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Head lice - the other side

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:24 AM
  • 49 Replies

Since this seems a hot topic in blended families ... here is the other side of the coin!

DD13 has never had head lice ... until now, that is! A few weeks ago, when sitting next to her on the train, I had the shock of my life, seeing that her head was crawling with them (I think we counted about 10-12). Strangely enough, I had actually put curlers in her hair the night before, and then pinned her hair up the next morning (we were going to the horse races and wanted to look all pretty) ... I hadn't noticed.

I obviously informed school immediately (they said they were having an infestation currently), I informed all her friends who she is in close contact with, and obviously I immediately informed BF so he could check his skids.

When I had noticed the lice, I immediately treated her (and myself, since we found one lonely louse on my head) ... and then, for the next four days, wet-combed her hair (and mine)  twice a day with conditioner. She didn't have any crawlies when she left for her father's house, but I was still able to spot the odd egg.

I informed BF on how to treat her hair (wet-combing), which he did in accordance with our school nurse's instructions. Three days after she returned from BF's house, she had lice ... still? Again? I don't know, they are definitely less than before ... but they are lice. Oh, and we found another two on my head. We obviously treated again ... and are now back to daily wet-combing (both of us).

On both occasions, I washed all of our bedding on hot, put it in the dryer ... nuking those little buggers! I desinfected, hoovered, quarantined, sprayed with tea tree oil, bleached all of our combs and brushes ... the lot!

Then I called BF again and advised him to check his skids once more to avoid cross-contamination ... and was met with a really shitty attitude! He is obviously the expert on the life of a louse, he is convinced he knows where they are coming from (the stables ... though only one little girl there had them ... we actually think DD gave them to her carrying her piggy-back, and the mother has treated the girl repeatedly). Oh, and he knows why they are still there ... because I'm such a crappy mother.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leigh84
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:01 AM
He shouldn't of gotten shitty w/you. Lice is a pain in the ass and just b/c your child has lice doesn't make you a crappy parent. Last year my son and I both had lice. It was horrible. It took 3 weeks to get it out of my hair. (My hair is dark and extremely thick) I wish you the best w/getting it out of your daughters hair. I would not wish lice on my worst enemy.
hriabywx4
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM
I'm sorry you're getting attitude. :( lice can be buggers to get rid of. My DS got them from my SS. Blah what a mess! Had to send my daycare kids home, lots of extra cleaning for my pregnant self!

It's a pita sure. But no reason to throw blame around!
Pero3
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I honestly don't know where she got them from, or on whose watch! I obviously discovered them, but - given the amount present - I'm convinced she would have already had them on his watch ...

Quoting Leigh84:

Lice is a pain in the ass and just b/c your child has lice doesn't make you a crappy parent.

Pero3
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Quoting hriabywx4:

It's a pita sure. But no reason to throw blame around!

The way he's acting, you'd think they were an STD!

....ClvrScn.
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:13 AM
2 moms liked this
I really think that in cases of infestations ( lice scabbies the like ) visitation should cease until both households are sure it is handled
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pero3
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I had offered that I would keep her once he responded "we shall see what we can do" to my request to wet-comb her.

Lice over here are not a notifiable disease ... most schools don't have a no nit policy over here, only a "no live lice" one.

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

I really think that in cases of infestations ( lice scabbies the like ) visitation should cease until both households are sure it is handled

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM

but that's so normal, all it means is that the nits you missed have hatched.... I wish people would understand their life cycle before they place blame.

Many months, I get it, blame away, but it can take a good few weeks even if you are on top of everything.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

if she has thick hair, it's hard to find just one or two.  or if she has darker hair.   I can usually spot the bugs sooner on the blonder kids at school if I'm not looking for them.

Quoting Pero3:

I honestly don't know where she got them from, or on whose watch! I obviously discovered them, but - given the amount present - I'm convinced she would have already had them on his watch ...

Quoting Leigh84:

Lice is a pain in the ass and just b/c your child has lice doesn't make you a crappy parent.

Pero3
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM

She is blond, but masses of hair, down to her butt!

Quoting Polkadotted:

if she has thick hair, it's hard to find just one or two.  or if she has darker hair.   I can usually spot the bugs sooner on the blonder kids at school if I'm not looking for them.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM

saturate your hair with vinegar, wrap it loosely in a towel, and leave in overnight.  It smells awful but it will kill EVERYTHING.

And your ex is a dick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)