Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Obligation to Inform

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM
  • 146 Replies

If the NCP is travelling overseas for a few weeks to a month without their child with the CP, do you think they are obligated to inform the CP of their whereabouts?

The NCP can be reached by their mobile.

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
If the child is not going, no.
petie1104
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
If you're not taking the child then no.
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I would probably say "I'm going out of town, if you need me call my mobile"

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
It depends on the relationship between the parents... I believe it's common courtesy to let the other parent know incase of an emergency they don't even bother trying to contact the other parent.
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

No.  It would be nice, but if they are available by phone, why does the CP need to know where they are?

Happily Married | BM to DD13  DD13  DD12 | Mom to DS7 & DS4 | CP | Not a SM

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes.  It was very difficult when DDs were younger never knowing where their dad was.  In the case of an emergency, I think it is only right that BPs inform each other of their whereabouts when they are out of the ordinary.

I had and should not have any power to stop him, but he needs to inform me when he is gone.  And as DDs get older, it is less important that he tell me, he still should, and more important that he tell his daughters.  Just this weekend, BF went out of town and Didnt tell DDs.  DD16 was irked.  He lives close enough and the girls are old enough that there is much more freedom to have coffee or lunch with him on my scheduled time.  The visitation is much more "their time" than my time or BFs time.

rambling, I know, but it was respectful to DDs and to me when he informed us of his plans.  Easy to do, no harm in doing it.  Why wouldn't you tell?

adamsmom0116
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Obligated? No.

Would it be nice if they told the other parent anyway? Absolutely. Especially if the NCP has a relationship with the kids outside of "their time." You know - if the kid wanted to call and tell mom or dad how their ballgame went or what score they got on a test. It would be especially nice if there is a time difference involved.

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Obligated, no. Common courtesy, yes.

Pero3
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Does it matter whether it's the CP or the NCP? If so, why?

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:46 AM

It depends on the responsibilities given to the CP in the CO. I think the whereabouts of the child needs to be communicated. 

Quoting Pero3:

Does it matter whether it's the CP or the NCP? If so, why?

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)