Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do you tell your skids what to do?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
  • 27 Replies
5 moms liked this

I see that some of you have issues with the skids not listening or not respecting you. And your DH either does or doesn't step in and make them show you respect.

I guess I don't get it. If I really had an issue with something big, I would have DH deal with is all together. 

But I treat SS just like I would any other kid in my home. My kids, my friends kids, my kids' friends, my sister kids, etc.... You take care of your own shit. SS will sometimes get up from the table and I will remind him to take care of his dishes and will tell me to do it. Well, I'm not going to cry to DH about it. I tell the little bugger right then and there "I'm not doing it. You're old enough to take care of your own stuff, man." If he still gives me problems I tell him he can sit there at the table until he is ready to take care of his own dishes. If he gets up from the table I will make him go back to the table. If it keeps happening I keep being persistant. I don't look at it as dicipline. But I'm not going to let a child disrespect me in my own home. I really don't give a shit who's kid it is. If BM wants to throw a fit about it, she can waste her time and energy being mad. 

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I verbally correct too.
Rae706
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Agree completely. No child is going to disrespect me in my home and if DH wasn't on the same page with that, he wouldn't be my DH!
JLang
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Agree. That's how things fly in my home as well.

Amy1973Potts
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Agreed. But there is very little if that with me. Its more reminding. They don't push the envelope as much with me as they do their father.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newstepmom61811
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I respect them, I ask them in the same fashion that I would like to be asked to so something...I get little problems with that approach...they're kids, still little humans, worthy of respect too, and even when correcting, I can do it with class and respect. I try to model the behavior I want them to display. If I don't want attitude from them, why would I display it asking them to do something or correcting them?
MrsMiles85
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I refuse to repeat myself.  I will say something once, after that I tell my hub and let him deal with it. 

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yea, I tell SD what to do and I verbally correct her. I also punish her if necessary. However, SD isn't the type of kid who gets into a lot of trouble. Generally a verbal correction of "hey, that's not cool" is plenty.

QueenBof6
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Yep. I tell/ask/remind them to do things. They are home with me a lot. If they don't listen there are consequences.
Erica705
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I verbally correct and dole out consequences. The younger one used to have a problem showing respect. The oldest one is for the most part no problem. Multiple times I've said no and she's asked her dad. Very annoying but will be handled accordingly. It's a pick your battle thing. When it happened today, I reminded her that I told her no and to not bother dad about it. If it continues, she will get a consequence, otherwise it's all good.
momofjkkc
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:31 AM
When the girls were younger I would remind them to remove their plate but other than that,No. I give respect and get respect. However they don't have responsibilities at my home. If we are cleaning they sometimes choose to help out but I don't expect them too.
The only other thing I can think of is when ysd was little and she would throw a tantrum in the store I would walk away and leave dh there by himself with her.
I never disciplined or anything. That was strictly between dh and bm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)