Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BM now refusing to buy clothes and pay for medical

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

for her children.  They have 50/50 and DH pays her child support.  DH is going to meet with her tomorrow to try to sort it out - but if she still refuses, at this point she's obviously in contempt of court.  

Do some of you just let it all add up knowing if court got involved it'd cost so much more than what you lost every month?  Is the other party every "informed" (some may call it threatened)  of their contempt and steps that would be taken to rectify the arrears and done it?  I do think she's pushing him into a corner so that he'll be the one to initiate the next legal steps becasue she has a list of other grievenaces she'd like to bring to the table (but she'd look bad if she did).

Always interesting.... 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

"refusing to buy clothes" doesn't make much sense to me.  I am not sure how you could prove that since there isn't a specific amount of clothing a child is required to have. 

As for the medical....  No, I've never taken him back to court for it.  Proving how far he's behind in medical would cost a TON because I have to send everything certified and to keep paying to send it certified when I'm not getting any reimbursement is just burning money.  He owes literally thousands in out of pocket medical that I'll never see.  I've just accepted that. 

ramita
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM
I'd just have to let it go. Just another reason not to expect anything of the BM.
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:57 PM

We just paid for it all ourselves. 

Needed to be done. 

NonSMom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Well, BM knows that when she buys clothing for them, she submits the receipts for DH to reimburse her back and he'll deduct the medical  from all of that amount too. So, now she's refusing to pay for anything, insinuating that DH will have to pay for all their clothing and medical costs. Even tho he pays her child support. I don't get the math, it's frustrating.  

NonSMom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Quoting DDDaysh:

"refusing to buy clothes" doesn't make much sense to me.  I am not sure how you could prove that since there isn't a specific amount of clothing a child is required to have. 

As for the medical....  No, I've never taken him back to court for it.  Proving how far he's behind in medical would cost a TON because I have to send everything certified and to keep paying to send it certified when I'm not getting any reimbursement is just burning money.  He owes literally thousands in out of pocket medical that I'll never see.  I've just accepted that. 

I'm sorry to hear that - that is so sad. 

packermomof2
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM
3 moms liked this

My ex hasn't paid anything since 2006.  My kid's medical and dental bills have not been cheap.  I just made it work.  I would rather take care of my kids than fight in court over money.

packermomof2
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM

So, if mom asks him to pay for a portion of the clothes he deducts that from his portion of the medical bills?

NonSMom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Quoting packermomof2:

So, if mom asks him to pay for a portion of the clothes he deducts that from his portion of the medical bills?

Per the CO, at the end of the month they take their receipts for things they've both paid for and figure out who owes who for what - of their percentages - and whomever owes the other party  an amount reimburses them back (Basic Child Support Obligations like clothes, haircuts, extracurriculars, medical bills, school supplies, etc).   So, yes, to answer your question. 

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Well, she's going to have to buy the children clothing eventually... She wouldn't let them walk around naked would she?

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Not really.  It's just money.  On an adult level, it's frustrating, but not really sad.  We've had sad with our situation, the money stuff doesn't even scratch the surface.  

Quoting NonSMom:

Quoting DDDaysh:

I'm sorry to hear that - that is so sad. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)