Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child support lowered on it's own? confused...

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM
  • 18 Replies

Today DH got an amended income withholding order in the mail today reducing the amount that he pays by about 17%.  We never requested that it be lowered and I'm 100% certain that BM wouldn't have requested it.  All I can think is that BM recently quit her previous job and started working at her sister's daycare.  She had to tell them that she changed jobs so if she provided an increased income change to friend of the court then perhaps they recalculated the amount that he needs to pay? The thing is, since this is her sister's daycare she could very easily have hidden her actual income (for example by being paid a certain amount legitimately and then having her sister "give" her a few hundred dollars a month or something) and I believe that she really is the kind of person that would try to do that. 

The reasons I think that are because when she and DH split up DH was paying her several hundred a month to help support his daughter.  Luckily his mom worked at the bank so he had his mom track the money that was being paid out to her, but about 5 months into that BM  filed for child support, and tried to get back child support claiming that he hadn't been giving her any money.  He proved that he did and she was awarded no back child support, in addition to that she was awarded a monthly child support amount that was lower than what he had been giving her. Another reason is because when he told her that he joined the National Guard her response was "Yay! Now I can go after you for more child support".  So anyway if my assumption that she would try something tricky to keep child support from being reduced is wrong then sorry, but I have my reasons. 

But anyway, is there any other reason that this would be reduced other than a possible change in her income?  For what it's worth it is not the actual child support amount that was reduced it was the "cash medical support" number in the equation that was reduced, leading to a lower overall payment. SD is on state insurance. Any ideas? 

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I don't know. That does sound interesting. I'm betting it is because she showed an increase in her income. I want to say congrats but kind of scared that would come off wrong lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM

lol, I know what you mean.  He was already paying too much... imo... he was paying 30% of his income for one child and we do have her for about 100 nights a year and when she is here we provide her with everything - bed, clothes, toys, etc. so imo 30% of his income was too much considering he doesn't have ANY disposable income and I have to pay most of the bills because of it. BUT we didn't want to lower it because idk it just kind of makes us feel like we're doing something wrong to do that. But all in all I am feeling slightly happy about it lol

Quoting momof2ex1:

I don't know. That does sound interesting. I'm betting it is because she showed an increase in her income. I want to say congrats but kind of scared that would come off wrong lol

Bettypolicek9
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Wow!  Please message me if you figure out how it was lowered.  My Boyfriend has been having to pay an increased amount of child support even with BM going back to work and making her normal 55+ a year income and the judge based it of of my br's estimated overtime income rate, which ended up being $20K shorter than what the judge anticipated.  The judge also didn't take into consideration what he'd been paying for prior to the agreement and he had to pay $5K in back pay!  I feel so bad for him....he's being racked over the coals and still even gives his children practically everything they want or need.  Praying it gets lowered by the end of the year after another court date.

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM

What state are you in?  

I know in Texas the amount you have to pay in cash medical support (not including reimbursement for out of pocket expenses) is not supposed to be more than 9% of your income.  Maybe that was part of it.  

Here they always send out a notice if they're going to do a recalculation though.  

Maybe if you were paying some part of it to the state, they changed how much they were charging parents???  

EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Michigan... huh, that's interesting.  I'll have to look into that! DH doesn't care why, lol, but I'm a curious person by nature.

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state are you in?  

I know in Texas the amount you have to pay in cash medical support (not including reimbursement for out of pocket expenses) is not supposed to be more than 9% of your income.  Maybe that was part of it.  

Here they always send out a notice if they're going to do a recalculation though.  

Maybe if you were paying some part of it to the state, they changed how much they were charging parents???  

D-Town
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM

Is it possible that BM filed for an increase? I know several of my single mom friends that filed for increases only to have their CS decreased instead.

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I don't blame you, I'd be curious as well.

Quoting EricaG87:

Michigan... huh, that's interesting.  I'll have to look into that! DH doesn't care why, lol, but I'm a curious person by nature.

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state are you in?  

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:38 PM

This happened to a BM that I know too.

Quoting D-Town:

Is it possible that BM filed for an increase? I know several of my single mom friends that filed for increases only to have their CS decreased instead.

Married, CSM to SD14 & SS12, CBM to DS12 & DD9

minimoo
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:03 PM
But usually don't they ask for income documentation from both parties?

Quoting D-Town:

amyjo76
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I've never run across FOC reducing or increasing simply by one person just saying they had a new job. I think it would have to be recalculated with both incomes. They usually send you a break down & explain why the change. Everyone who pays has that stupid cash medical support thing (at least I feel it's stupid to pay it since it just goes to the state, not to the party receiving support whether receiving state assistance or not.) If someone reported any bills that were paid by the BF, it may reduce that amount but being on medicaid I don't know if he did?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)