Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone successfully collected on child support that was not paid?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 29 Replies

We may have to try to colllect from BM but I'm being told that its hard to actually get any money so wondering if the effort is worth it.

Married, CSM to SD14 & SS12, CBM to DS12 & DD9

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Very easy for us. We called the state - they sent a warning letter, then seized her bank account. The rest was taken from her tax return. It did take several months, but we literally only made a phone call to make it happen.

We are in PA.
wyomom4
by Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

It really depends on where the CS order is. In most cases it takes a while, but they will go through the employer and garnish the wages. Also, once the arrears reach a certain amount they will take the tax refunds and cancel passports of delinquent parents. I know of one county where they can even take your vehicle, sell it and use the proceeds for back child support. Really, it doesn't take much effort on your part, and even if they don't collect, or only collect sporradically it can be worth it for the child.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

BM only owes about $700 right now, but if she hits the $1000 mark and isn't paying and they can't garnish her wages (she may have just quit her job to avoid paying) then they'll suspend her license, seize her bank account and take her tax return. 

DDDaysh
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

It depends on how hard the other parent wants to dodge it and how far they're willing to go. 

If they work "above board" and file taxes, getting money generally only requires turning it over to the state enforcement agency and waiting for all the paperwork to go through - average time probably about 12 weeks, but it could take shorter or longer depending on bureaucracy. 

If the parent REALLY doesn't want to pay, however, and is willing to do things like not be employed (or be employed as a contractor rather than employee), not pay taxes or always underpay so there's never a refund, sublet places so their address is never reported as being on a lease, function without a bank account, and doesn't care what shows up on their credit report....  Well, then ya, it's damn near impossible to get anything from them. 

sid1083
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

In my experience, it depends on the job/bank status and how much you're trying to collect. I had a judgement but no collection order (not CS) and it was a PITA to try to collect on until ex started working with me.

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Thanks!!  This may not be so easy because she doesn't work (or works under the table)and has almost nothing in her checking.  Her dad pays for everything. 

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM

How long did this take?  A few months?

Quoting HopesNDreams:

Very easy for us. We called the state - they sent a warning letter, then seized her bank account. The rest was taken from her tax return. It did take several months, but we literally only made a phone call to make it happen.

We are in PA.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I just asked for a CS hearing... We went in and I told them BD doesn't pay his support so they set-up wage garnishments of his checks (for current and arrears) and started taking his tax returns. They also upped his support.
OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Great!!!  Did you have to use a lawyer for this?

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

I just asked for a CS hearing... We went in and I told them BD doesn't pay his support so they set-up wage garnishments of his checks (for current and arrears) and started taking his tax returns. They also upped his support.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:19 PM
No! I did ask my lawyer to go with me. It was a huge waste of $600. She didn't have to do or say anything. I would have been fine alone but I thought Bd would bring a lawyer- he didn't.

Quoting OvrMyHead:

Great!!!  Did you have to use a lawyer for this?

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured