Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stolen from a CS post: do you believe you have the right?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
  • 64 Replies
To use your position in your job to gain personal and private/confidential information on your husband's ex or your ex?

Someone else posted that she worked for a bank and was able to get in to the boyfriend of BMs account to see what he was depositing. She was concerned for her SS and wanted to be sure that if mom got in a bind, she would be able to give her DH a heads up so he would be prepared since he was currently between jobs.

Do you think it is ever ok to use your position at work for personal gain in this type of situation? Have you done it and why?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:49 PM
The only person I've ever asked to do any digging for me was my attorney. When he got the information, he did not give it to me. He told me, it all looks fine, nothing to worry about. He did a background check on SM after she was arrested for felony assault and felony child endangerment. (My child was the child she endangered). So he ran some checks (however he was able to do that) but he never gave me a copy or told me what was found. He only said that everything was fine.

My sister works for the city that arrested SM and even she wouldn't go in to the arrest report. She didn't want to lose her job OR hurt the case by opening it up since it tracks who has reviewed the report. Snooping was not worth it to her to lose her job. And I don't blame her. I agreed with her. And none of it was ever my business

I have my ex's SS # and I would never use it to get info on him although these days it seems it would be a piece of cake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that is unethical. 

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Right? I almost fell out of my chair!

Quoting packermomof2:

I think that is unethical. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this

No. And if someone ever found out she'd be fired. Not only is it illegal, it's VERY unethical.

luckystars2012
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I think it largely depends. Non step related, but I used my job once to view medical records of a girl my ex cheated on me with. Thank god I did because I found out she had hepatitis.

Was it unethical? Yes. Do I regret it? No.
SMInProgress
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Hi MomOf2! I promise I won't mistake you for a crazy SM again lol. Does this sweetpea emoticon have one that crawls under a rock?

OK back to your post. I read the original post & I thought the same thing but only because it was a bank (think similarly of employee records, IRS, etc) & thought it was a bit of a violation.  But if police or medical records? Let's just say I haven't had any problems before with it either morally or other... :)

spicy0425
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM

It's illegal. Banking is has very strict regulations about personal/financial info. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM
No but I don't think for a second that most ppl wouldn't do it. I don't trust a lot of ppl.
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I'd like to add I personally would never do anything other than fb stalk slightly. I was a CO for almost 8 years. I had access to CLETS and never looked up ppl'a business outside the scope of my job.
jadedcynic
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:07 AM

No and she should get fired and convicted for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)