Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

how to handle kid afraid of moths and butterflies freeking out...

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 44 Replies
15yr old skid has always been afraid of butterflies and moths.. He freaks out whenever one is in the house. Unfortunately they are attracted to my bathroom lights so at night there can be a couple.. I keep telling boys not to leave lights on if they are done in the bathroom. but they don't listen..
Skid freaks out every night and refuses to take to take a shower unless dad is in bathroom with him to kill the moths for him... it has resulted in being broken like light fixtures.. dings in the wall and such..
if there is ONE little moth in there either dead or alive it's a scream fest... I say he needs to deal with the moths himself... I'm deathly afraid of wasps and stinging insects as I was stung INSIDE of my mouth by a wasp while drinking a soda at a picnic when I was very very young... however I deal with them and don't let them stop me from doing things..
Dad says I'm not being understanding about it at all. And keeps babying this kid by running up the steps when skid screams that he sees a moth...
Best way to deal with a fear is to do exactly that.. deal with it...
but apparently I am wrong...

what say you?
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM
My son is only 5 and I fear that this will be him in 10 years lol he is terrified of bugs. What is wrong with these boys!? Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Let the kid be scared of moths and butterflies.

I'm terrified of spiders. I make my huband come in and kill them if they're in the bathroom, or anywhere else in the house for that matter. If DH is at work, I make DS who's 10 kill the spiders for me.

It's not that big of a deal. Some creepy crawlies are just scary. 

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:30 AM
SS used to flip out over bugs. DH or I would kill the bug, but we also both teased him about being scared of a little bug. First response to "there's a spider in here!" was always "step on it!" Taking care of it for him was low key. He got over it. He still won't kill anything big himself (nickel-sized or larger), but he doesn't freak out. He's only 8.

A 15yo boy afraid of moths? There'd be some brutal and relentless teasing around here. A fear of wasps makes sense; they hurt. What does he think a moth is going to do? Beat him to death with its wings?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teaching_kids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:57 AM
My SD picked up her mother and her fathers extreme fear of spiders. Nothing has ever happened to her -ever. She never got bit by a spider or anything. She's just picked up her parents fear.
BM will essentially call her mother to come to her house to kill a spider and her mother will LOL.
I don't have that mentality at all-
I've had several years now dealing with my husband and telling him to "man up" lol and he has. He still doesn't like them but he's realized he can't help his daughter overcome this extreme fear if he's climbing on a chair and pointing "spider, get it" as he screams like a girl LOL. Not to mention, it was such a turn off for me. Omg !!!!
My SD has been made to get her bike or other things out of the shed on her own even though "there are spiders in there"
I just don't support letting fears lead...not even for myself.

A butterfly/moth fear...?!?!?! I wonder were that came from.
Amy1973Potts
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I have nothing nice to say lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:06 AM
LOL. Your DH really jumped for higher ground? ROFL.

I dated a guy in college who was afraid of roaches. It is amazing how lifelike some of the rubber ones you can buy are. Those little bastards (fake) showed up everywhere! Cruel maybe, but his roommate and I nearly peed ourselves over some of the reactions. I could have so much fun with moths and butterflies...

Quoting teaching_kids:

My SD picked up her mother and her fathers extreme fear of spiders. Nothing has ever happened to her -ever. She never got bit by a spider or anything. She's just picked up her parents fear.

BM will essentially call her mother to come to her house to kill a spider and her mother will LOL.

I don't have that mentality at all-

I've had several years now dealing with my husband and telling him to "man up" lol and he has. He still doesn't like them but he's realized he can't help his daughter overcome this extreme fear if he's climbing on a chair and pointing "spider, get it" as he screams like a girl LOL. Not to mention, it was such a turn off for me. Omg !!!!

My SD has been made to get her bike or other things out of the shed on her own even though "there are spiders in there"

I just don't support letting fears lead...not even for myself.

A butterfly/moth fear...?!?!?! I wonder were that came from.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Lots of people have irrational fears. It is really very real to them. Don't discount them just because you were able to get over yours. You are different.

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Lol, I appreciate fears but I wouldn't like to see my son running off behaving like DD5 over a moth or butterflies, I expect manly behaviour. My advice wouldn't be PC at all, my husband wouldn't tolerate that type of behaviou from his son either.

SMInProgress
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

We have same problem with SS16. DH is about as manly as you can get.  But his sons are not.  They were raised by BM & she is not only bipolar but is afraid of everything. We were at a store & SS, for some strange reason, thought a spider bit him.  He panicked, started the epic meltdown inside the store & made us drive him to the emergency because he was convinced he is allergic to them & he'll stop breathing.  Can you imagine trying to get a teen to stop crying in the store?  We were outside of the hospital when he calmed down & we asked where the bite was.  Nothing.  He's never been bitten by a spide either.  It's all in his head. This has happened a few times. I'm still waiting for his therapist to address this.  Because no doubt DH will continue to drive him to the emergency. Agree with posters, kid needs to just deal with it & he'll soon find out that mosquitos are not spiders & he did not swell up & stop breathing...he'll realize that he'll have actually lived!  Best way to deal with falling is just fall & then get up again.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

my brother's 27 and still screams like a little bitch every time he sees a spider (usually daddy long legs)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)