Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Poorly nourished stepdaughter

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM
  • 32 Replies
My 12 month old SD only drinks formula. She gags and cries when given any solids from cereal to fruit purée or even yogurt. What are the possible side effects of a baby her age only having formula? She also cries non-stop and has had a horrible diaper rash for 8 months which her mom says is an infection.
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaag
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Your DH hasn't taken his daughter to the Dr yet? That would be what I would be suggesting to DH. Maybe there is an underlying reason for it.

Gmmhealy
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM
We have only had two visits with the girls. My DH asked BM to take her to the doctor again next week, but I don't trust the info we get from her. She doesn't like to admit any faults in her parenting. I'd like to take my SD to the doctor myself the next time we see her
alissaplusthree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:40 AM
2 moms liked this

It may not be a fault in parenting. The child may have sensory issues. DH should go with the BM to the appointment.

amyjo76
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe she has allergies, which is why she's not wanting to eat & then causing diarrhea & the diaper rash? Your DH could always follow up with the doctor's office after she takes her so that you can continue to treat her as the doctor suggests at your home.

Gmmhealy
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
That's true, I usually just assume its her fault because she did similar things with their older daughter, and the you get one who is having trouble now had to wear a helmet when she was 6 months old because her he's had flattened from being left in her swing, stroller, etc

Quoting alissaplusthree:

It may not be a fault in parenting. The child may have sensory issues. DH should go with the BM to the appointment.

Gmmhealy
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I suppose it could be allergies, but it would be unusual to see someone allergic to EVERYTHING. She appears not to know how to chew and swallow food. She also doesn't doesn't respond to any sort of playing or tickling. She's become attached to me, grips onto me for dear life, but when I try to get her to smile I get nothing. She sees her older sister and half-brother (my 13 month old son) playing and laughing and she doesn't light up at all. I'm just really concerned for her and it breaks my heart to see an innocent baby so miserable.
Tx_stepmom
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Get that child to a doctor now.  Regardless if it's parenting faults or developemental issues.  If you don't trust what the BM is telling then DH needs to demand that he be at the Dr. Appt.

packermomof2
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

You don't know anything really, have only seen the kid twice, but it's all moms fault and you don't trust her?

There is a good chance mom doesn't trust you seeing how you're just judging her and dad?  Well, dad can ask her to take the kid but won't make an effort to go himself... he doesn't sound as interested as he could be.  Maybe you should start by not trusting him since he won't do what a parent does (not a mom, a parent). 

I'm not saying this could be mom's fault, I'm saying stop jumping to that automatically.  You are with dad, not the parent and it isn't your business to trust or distrust the parent you aren't married to with their children.  Especially really young ones that you haven't been around much at all.

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:55 PM
THANK YOU THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING EVEN ON OTHER POST. SHE NEEDS TO SEE A DOCTOR

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

Get that child to a doctor now.  Regardless if it's parenting faults or developemental issues.  If you don't trust what the BM is telling then DH needs to demand that he be at the Dr. Appt.

ROBIN-C
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:16 AM

My daughter had a flat spot and it wasn't from neglect! She had muscles in her neck on one side that were too tight so she didn't turn her head. Briefly had to go to therapy for it. 

Quoting Gmmhealy:

That's true, I usually just assume its her fault because she did similar things with their older daughter, and the you get one who is having trouble now had to wear a helmet when she was 6 months old because her he's had flattened from being left in her swing, stroller, etc

Quoting alissaplusthree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured