Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Step kids from hell!!!

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM
  • 54 Replies
My DH and I just began our weekends with his 2 daughters every other weekend. The youngest is 12 months old and a total nightmare. She has some health issues like a horrifying diaper rash and she hasn't been taught to eat solid foods yet so all she ever wants to do is lay in a stroller with a bottle of formula in her hand. As a mom myself I don't feel good about leaving her in there, but otherwise she will cry non stop. The older daughter is 3 1/2. I've known her and been in her life since she was born so she's very attached to me and she's an incredibly smart and sweet girl, but she has no rules at home and no schedule to follow. She eats popcorn and ice cream for breakfast, absolutely no fruits or veggies, drinks only apple juice from a bottle, is still in diapers and watches tv all day. When she doesn't want to d something he just puts her foot down and tells no. I have to dilemmas which are
1) I don't know where to draw the line between giving into some of her demands in order to make her comfortable and have a good time (I know it's important to my DH that she always have a blast on her visits with us) and being what I consider a good mom and making her eat good food, try the potty, turn off tv etc.
2) im fairly strict with our 13 month old son about what he eats, when he goes to bed, drinking water from a sippy, etc. I'm not saying that I'm a perfect parent at all, but I def try to do the right thing, even when it's not the easy or fun thing. So how do I keep my DS eating his veggies an chicken and going to bed at 6pm when his sisters are running wild and eating ice cream in front of the tv???
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newstepmom61811
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Honestly if the parenting patterns are that far apart I honestly wouldn't have the kids together in the house...there aren't enough explanations of his vs mine to the kids you can cover to bridge that distance. Your son is going to feel picked on and like he's treated unfairly. And when the discipline really kicks in as he gets older and more self aware and the girls get nothing but an absolute indulgent Disneyland dad...it's gonna go all to shit....I would separate the kids during the visits.
Gmmhealy
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I like them to be together and get to know each other. It's important to my DH that they be close. I've considered being a little more lenient with my son when the girls are here since its only twice a month and saying that it's a special time when the girls get to come over so we get to do some fun things but maybe that's unrealistic.
Logistically I don't know how I could separate them anyway.
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
8 moms liked this

You stated in another post that you have only had them twice thus far. Meaning you have only been around these kids for 4 days total. So how is it you have been in the 3 year olds life since birth and she is very attached to you? How come you have a 13 month old and BM has a 12 month old? I'm so confused.

SMInProgress
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Hello 12 month old? 3.5 years old? They're not from hell. They're just a handful.  I'll trade you with my teen skid.  Now that's hell.  But 2 babies & 1 toddler, I'd say split the visits. That's too much for one person to handle.

justcyarra
by Brandi on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I was confused as well

Quoting baparrot2:

You stated in another post that you have only had them twice thus far. Meaning you have only been around these kids for 4 days total. So how is it you have been in the 3 year olds life since birth and she is very attached to you? How come you have a 13 month old and BM has a 12 month old? I'm so confused.

GlockMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
How is a one year old baby the stepchild from hell? Also, sounds like the three year old is doing the normal three year old demanding her way thing.

How do you know what BM does in her home?
Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
So he has a 12m old with ex and you have a 13m old with dh? Wow that's close together. I have a almost 12m old and I agree that what she's doing isn't right. Some parents DO believe that solids are not necessary until age 1 , but as far as bottles go, unless she's a preemie like my dd, she should be weaning from bottles and using sippy cups , and diaper rash that won't go away Is usually a yeast infection, esp on a girl. Dh should take her to doc, I can't believe a mom wouldn't!! Anf the stroller thing is deff weird, babies that age are usually all over the place walking or learning to walk. Msybe talk to dh about it, that these behaviors concern you.!the toddler sounds like she deff needs Some better structure and diet the main prob is that these babies arnt yours, and if that is the wa y their mom wants to raise them regardless if you disagree , there is absolutely NOTHING YOU CAN DO. Only dh can work with you to make a change at least at your housr. Or get custody. Btw step kids from hell is super dramatic title and those kids are BABIES. It'd not their fault
Boobear110
by Audra on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Me too.. 

Also, HELLO!! The kids are just little ones. Doing what is very age appropriate. 

Quoting justcyarra:

I was confused as well

Quoting baparrot2:

GlockMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I noticed that too. OP, care to elaborate on how 4 days equals her whole life and on how you have a baby just a bit older than the youngest SC.

It looks like you were the other woman that dad had the older baby around behind BM back and conceived your child just before BM had their newest baby together.

Weird timeline there.

Quoting baparrot2:

WickdlySweet
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Bump....hoping for a backstory,I am a little confused by the kids' ages,how long you've been with your dh etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured