Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

One little typo and...BAM! What would YOU have done?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM
  • 52 Replies

Per the CO, DH has to send BM designation of what 30 days during the summer he will have the children by April 1.  Dh did this and had decided to split his visitation into 2 periods - 14 days at the end of June/first part of July and then 16 days starting 7/25.  BM emailed DH back and asked if he would be willing to change his visitation entirely to something that was completely off the wall and didn't work with our schedule for things we had planned.  So, when DH emailed her back he said "I am willing to look at changing things up for next year if we plan itfar enough in advance however, this year lets stick with the original plan of (first set of dates) and July 275 thru August 8th." 

Now, I am not sure why DH did not catch that typo of 275 instead of 25 but he didn't.  There were at least 4 other emails exchanged after that between him and BM regarding events SD had for youth while she would be with us and a birthday party that SS6 was invited to and BM never mentioned the typo or asked anything about it. 

So, fast forward to last night...  The kids were with us for the weekend and DH is driving them to meet BM last night.  DH tells them that he will see them Thursday night.  SS10 says "Thursday?  Mom said Saturday and we wont even be in town because we are going to (waterpark) and are leaving Tuesday."  DH tells him he was pretty sure it was Thursday but either way he would see them soon.  So DH comes home and we look at the dates he sent and yes it is the 25th.  We check the other emails to make sure he didn't agree to anything without realizing it and we see the typo.  We are thinking surely BM would not mistake 275 for 27 and assume the DH is just giving up 2 days for no reason...

Nope.  That's what she assumed.  DH forwarded her the original email and just said "As a reminder I will be picking up the kids Thursday 7/25.  I apologize if there was a typo in one of the emails that we were exchanging regarding camp however, the original dates still stand."  BMs email back? "Ok well, next time you should be more careful and not make typos that could be translated into something else. This is going to cause a lot of trouble and the kids are going to be very mad at you."  Uh, ok.  DH didn't even respond.  Yeah, he made a typo but, it wasn't like he said July 27th...it was 275...there is no July 275. 

Would you have asked to clarify?  Or would you have assumed it was still the 25th since the email said "the original plan" which meant 7/25?  Or would you have assumed the 27th and just risked it?

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JustaSM231
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I would have tried to clarify that but it doesn't sound like BM is a very cooperative person from the tone of her reply.
deb716
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have asked for a clarification and I think most reasonable people would.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM
I've made a mistake like that before. It's frustrating for both sides. I'd just forget about the matter since its cleared up. At least BM didn't insist on the 27th... She may not have been wonderfully pleasant about it, but it could have been worse.
pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yeah she isnt a very fun person to deal with.  I was just shocked that she jumped to that conclusion of the 27th without asking...  What if DH hadnt said anything to the kids?  He would have showed up on Thursday and BM wouldnt have been there with the kids...that would NOT have been pretty...

Quoting JustaSM231:

I would have tried to clarify that but it doesn't sound like BM is a very cooperative person from the tone of her reply.

pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Very frustrating.  Thats why DH just chose to not even respond.  There would have been nothing good that would have come from that email thread.  He was worried that she would have insisted on the 27th or just not respond leaving him to show up Thursday and them not be there.  We talked about it and decided that if she HAD insisted on the 27th that it may be better to just agree but, add 2 extra days to the end of that visit or something. 

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

I've made a mistake like that before. It's frustrating for both sides. I'd just forget about the matter since its cleared up. At least BM didn't insist on the 27th... She may not have been wonderfully pleasant about it, but it could have been worse.

Frustrated10
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM

You really can't expect anyone else to catch a mistake that they didn't make themselves. It's a good idea to proof read before hitting send. Just be glad that the bm was accomodating afterall.

pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, I wouldnt have expected BM to catch the mistake....but she did and she used it for her own good instead of just asking.  July 275 doesnt really translate to July 27 but, she chose to see it that way instead of asking...really if she thought he did mean the 27th then it would have been a contridicting statement since he did say "the original" which was the 25th.

She sent DH an email with a typo in it this weekend regarding SS8s medication.  He didnt assume anything, he went back and read what she had sent before and then asked the question.  She also sent an email with a typo about a time for SDs youth activity...DH emailed for clarification  Just seems that asking would have been the more responsible thing to do instead of assuming one thin and risking contempt of court for not showing up with the kids...ya know?

Quoting Frustrated10:

You really can't expect anyone else to catch a mistake that they didn't make themselves. It's a good idea to proof read before hitting send. Just be glad that the bm was accomodating afterall.

phoenixhuntress
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I'd have asked for clarification since July 275 doesn't exist.  Luckily she was willing to work with you.  Sure she said he'd have to explain to kids but I doubt a missed trip to a waterpark would cause a rift between kids/dad.  Disappointment doesn't = end of the world.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM

it sounds like she had plans she didnt want to rearrange, so she assumed because it worked for her. personally, i would have clairified but i cant answer for others.

pokey-pwa
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

She will still take them to the waterpark I am sure.  It is something that they do with her sister and her kids and they stay there for 3-4 days.  It may be that they have to leave a day early or something or maybe she will go down a day ahead...who knows.  I dont think DH is too worried about them being too dissapointed since they have already been to 2 waterparks with us and Sea World with BM.

If she had said she needed it to be the 27th because she had plans, then DH was already prepared to jsut swap the days and add them to the end of the visitation.  We are thinking that she may have just planned on being back the 25th anyways but not bringing them to him til the 27th.  So we will probably have 4 very tired and cranky kids that night if so... 

Quoting phoenixhuntress:

I'd have asked for clarification since July 275 doesn't exist.  Luckily she was willing to work with you.  Sure she said he'd have to explain to kids but I doubt a missed trip to a waterpark would cause a rift between kids/dad.  Disappointment doesn't = end of the world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)