Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Weight Problem

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 18 Replies

The current CO that DH and BM have allows an extended 2 week vacation per parent.  BM just currently finished her 2 week extended vacation with SS and now SS is at our house for 2 weeks.

SS is a big boy.  He's 6 years old, almost 4'1" and now 72lbs.  He's always been on the bigger side and DH and I use to not worry so much because he's active.  The problem here is that before SS went on his 2 week stay with BM he was 68lbs.  So within the 2 weeks that he was with him BM he gained 4 lbs and no he did not get any taller.  Just to let you guys know, I'm not a weirdo that makes the kids weight themselves.  We have a scale out and the kids (SS and DS) like to play on the scale and read the numbers out loud.

This worries both DH and I because BM and her family are not very healthy.  SS meals when he's there is either take out or consists of noodles, rice, canned meat (sausages, corned beef, spam), and fried eggs.  Yes, he'll have the occassional veggie when he's at his BM's house but you can always tell in his attitude towards fruits and veggies that he doesn't have it on a regular basis.  Also they let him drink whatever he wants, so it's always soda, juice and chocolate milk.  So most likely that weight gain is due to bad foods and inactivity -- he plays on his ds, wii and ipad all day at his BM's house.

**i forgot to add that BM has had several health problems already which can be traced back to a sedentary lifestyle and poor eating habits**

BM is well aware that the doctors have said SS is too heavy for his age and height.  I know we can't change the way BM raises SS.  We try our best to feed the kids balanced meals and they do have the occassional treat, so at least I know when he's at our house he eats good foods.  And he sees me working out at home, so he understands that exercise and moving around is important.  We also have him go outside and play whenever he's with us.

Sorry, it's such a long post but --- is it normal for kids to gain that much in such a small amount of time?  What do you guys do to ensure your biokids and skids are eating properly?  What are your favorite physical activities with your kids?

---- Since a lot of you ladies have mentioned that weight and how the weight is carried is different .. , ss wears a size 10 in kids and it looks like we're going to have to move up to a 12 because his pants are not fitting around his waist anymore.  We do have to tailor his pants because they're too long. 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:37 PM

4 pounds in 2 weeks isn't too bad. If he's getting ready to go through a growth spurt, it's totally normal.

DD is 6, and 4' and 62lbs, and she's not fat. In fact she's long and lean. Her doctor has never mentioned a concern with her weight, in fact he's always said that her weight is perfect for her height. 

Being 4'1" and 72 pounds also depends on his body type as to whether or not it's an issue. If your DH is concerned, he should take his son to the doctor and get a referral to a nutritionist or dietician to discuss a healthy diet.

If anyone DOES disucss the issue with your SS, DO NOT use the words "weight problem" or "fat" or "diet" or "exercise". Use the words "heathly food choices" and "movement to help your bones and  muscles strong". You don't want to give this kid issues.

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I can't speculate on your SS because weight gain and carriage is such an individual thing.  It is rather typical, however, for kids to go through phases of filling outward and then growing upward.  My SKs are bean poles, but they have some months looking a lot more knees-and-elbows awkward than others.  We can kind of tell when they're about ready to sprout up again.  One of my nieces was tall/heavy for her age but went from lead chunk to lean athletic kid almost over night with a growth spurt.  You just never know. 

If you're concerned about a 6yo, the best bet is to keep him as engaged in physical activity as possible and instill good eating habits.  You cannot control what goes on at BM's, and attempting to withhold items or activities will only make them special.  It's a balance.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM

A weight gain of several pounds all at once like that usually signals a growth spurts that is about to hit.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Four pounds really isn't anything to worry about.  I think normal weight fluctuates by several pounds anyway.  I can weigh myself in the morning and then again at night and be off by 2 pounds.  Or one week I might average a few higher or lower than the next.  I could be water weight....who knows.  The point is, I wouldn't let 4 pounds worry you.  Keep your eye on the bigger picture, which is making sure he's active and eating healthy foods. 

Happily Married | BM to DD14  DD14  DD12 | Mom to DS7 & DS4 | CP | Not a SM

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Last I knew my DS was 104 and yesterday realized he was 114.  They go through little spurts.  (he is 11 and 5'1)  You cant control anything that goes on at the BM's house.  All you can do is try to show good eating habits at your house.  If he is active that is a good thing too.  Alot of kids are pudgy and grow out of it too.  My DS already is a little anal about the things he eats.  He was never picky but he is so concerned about self image.  Hopefully your SS will grow to want to make better eating habits.  Other than that.. I wouldnt think there is much else you can do. 

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

It can be normal. 

I wouldn't worry about it right now.

mellienium
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Well he's never been a bean pole and has always had some extra meat on him.  It just worried me when the doctor also showed conern in his last visit.  

We don't like to use words that have any negative connotation to them, so we always say that we need to eat healthy or good foods.  We tell him that good foods give you better energy and it will help you feel less tired so that you'll have more energy to run around outside and play.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

4 pounds in 2 weeks isn't too bad. If he's getting ready to go through a growth spurt, it's totally normal.

DD is 6, and 4' and 62lbs, and she's not fat. In fact she's long and lean. Her doctor has never mentioned a concern with her weight, in fact he's always said that her weight is perfect for her height. 

Being 4'1" and 72 pounds also depends on his body type as to whether or not it's an issue. If your DH is concerned, he should take his son to the doctor and get a referral to a nutritionist or dietician to discuss a healthy diet.

If anyone DOES disucss the issue with your SS, DO NOT use the words "weight problem" or "fat" or "diet" or "exercise". Use the words "heathly food choices" and "movement to help your bones and  muscles strong". You don't want to give this kid issues.

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a huge difference in the grand scheme of child hood... I wouldn't worry about it as long as he's active and eating healthy the majority of the time he should be fine...

mellienium
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

This is very true.  I just updated my post since many have mentioned that weight and how it's presented on the body is different for all kids.  He wears a 10 right now and we'll have to move him up to a 12 because his pants no longer fit around his waist.

we don't withhold items either.  he gets to play the ipad but just for a shorter period of time.  DH and I like to stay active, so we're always outside throwing around the football or playing a game of tag.  DH and I were raised that way and since we live in a cul-de-sac it's a perfect place for the kids to run around and play as well.

Quoting Derdriu:

I can't speculate on your SS because weight gain and carriage is such an individual thing.  It is rather typical, however, for kids to go through phases of filling outward and then growing upward.  My SKs are bean poles, but they have some months looking a lot more knees-and-elbows awkward than others.  We can kind of tell when they're about ready to sprout up again.  One of my nieces was tall/heavy for her age but went from lead chunk to lean athletic kid almost over night with a growth spurt.  You just never know. 

If you're concerned about a 6yo, the best bet is to keep him as engaged in physical activity as possible and instill good eating habits.  You cannot control what goes on at BM's, and attempting to withhold items or activities will only make them special.  It's a balance.

mellienium
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Your DS is 11, i wouldnt be surprised if he is starting to worry about self image.  If I think back far enough, I think i remember starting to worry about how "cool" i looked at that age. =)

I know I can't control what BM does at her house.  That's how she wants to raise him and that's fine.  DH and I raise our DS to eat veggies, so it's not a struggle for him.  It's funny because you would think that the younger child will always copy the older one, but it's backwards.  When SS sees that DS is eating his veggies, he'll ask for veggies too, so that's always good... now if I can only lessen his ketchup intake, but I guess that's a whole other battle ;)

Quoting tiredmama42:

Last I knew my DS was 104 and yesterday realized he was 114.  They go through little spurts.  (he is 11 and 5'1)  You cant control anything that goes on at the BM's house.  All you can do is try to show good eating habits at your house.  If he is active that is a good thing too.  Alot of kids are pudgy and grow out of it too.  My DS already is a little anal about the things he eats.  He was never picky but he is so concerned about self image.  Hopefully your SS will grow to want to make better eating habits.  Other than that.. I wouldnt think there is much else you can do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN