Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT:Do you have cable,Netflix or Hulu?

I have been thinking about getting rid of my cable. (My dh would die without it but hypothetically speaking,I am still weighing my options:)

We pay about $220 for directv.. I think that's nuts. I would like to hook up a laptop to the TV and stream tv via the websites if that's possible. (abc family,CBS,ect)

I would keep my Netflix and I am thinking of buying the Apple TV box,jail broken.

What do you use to watch TV? We have 500+ channels and we still complain there's nothing to watch! Lol
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM

We have all 3. We have just basic cable though nothing fancy.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM
I think Apple TV has the nfl or MLB ticket as well. I'll check:)

That's a good deal! Amazon prime had all the "new" shows correct? The only thing I'd miss is show time,dexter! But my friend would let me use we log in for my iPhone and I'd be good to go!:-)

I'll check into amazon prime. I think it's like $70 a year no?

Quoting runinpinkshoes:

We don't have cable, but we have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. It's about $23/mo. We have Apple TV, plus our TV has a button built in to automatically connect to Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

Between those things, we can watch everything we'd ever want, so I don't see the need for cable. But if your husband likes sports he probably wouldn't feel the same way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I like local channels as well. I do think I am use to it more then I need it. Lol. I usually read the websites newspapers.

$200 seems like a lot to me! I could do some major damage at stores With that! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM

We stream netflix, we pay about $22 a month for 2 DVD rentals at a time plus unlimited streaming.

We also use Hulu, we used to have hulu plus, but we didn't use it enough. I watch Parenthood and Once Upon a Time on the network's website when they're on.

We also have Amazon Prime, which includes movies and whatnot. We don't use that a ton to watch movies, we usually just use it for the free 2 day shipping. 

jules2boys
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Cable (Cox), and I hate it, but there are hoops to jump through for our condo association to get anything else (it's possible, but renting here makes it harder/take longer and so far I've not been up for that challenge).  We, too, have 500 channels with nothing to watch.  I didn't ASK for all of these channels though.  I'd gladly get rid of most, never having access them, but unfortunately most of them some with what I DID ask for, what we DO watch....

I need to jump into last century and get a DVR, but I haven't yet.  ;) 

I tried Netflix once, paid for it for 3 months trying to get it to work.  It never did so I cancelled it.  I've heard great things about it, and Hulu, and others, but I can't switch until I KNOW they'll work.  Probably operator (me) error but even friends/family that have those set ups at their homes couldn't get mine to work.... so we dropped it.  I'd LOVE not to pay so much for what we want to watch.  I can't even afford the MLB, NFL or NHL packages because we pay so much!  I'd love any of those (ODS and I would watch all the games!). 

I'd like something that worked for under the $200+/month we pay (phone, internet, cable package) but I don't know what that'd be currently. 

Given_to_Fly
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM
We do Netflix, we had Hulu but it was crappy so we cancelled. You can get a dumb vice called a Roku and stream Netflix its like $50 at Walmart. Or use an Xbox or Wii. There's a site called Megashare where you can watch new cable shows a couple days after they air too. There's also project free TV :)
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:07 PM
That would be cool. We like the food network and a couple of other channels. The rest,we hardly watch.

Quoting theshanster17:

Netflix for us!

If you're looking to cut cable, I used something called PlayOn. They have "channels" which are basically on-demand viewing, but you can add private channels that other people have and some even include streaming sties. The lifetime license is $75 I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Gosh it's so much better then dialup isn't it?! Lol. My kids have no idea what slow is!

Quoting luckystars2012:

We have all three. However my so works for a cable/phone/internet company so that part is free. If he didnt, we wouldnt have it. At least not all 18 million channels and super fast internet LOL.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM
My dh plays fantasy baseball and football so he justifies having such a high cable bill with "I win the money back IF I win,i dont go out so this is my entertainment and I work hard! " (ya,he also golfs and bbqs which cost a lot. Lol!!)Um.... It has nothing to do with those things and more to do with the fact that its $200 a month! We could have some real fun with that money if we got rid of cable.

In my dreams at least.... Lol;) my dh likes the cowboys which are not on local channels either! Lol.

Quoting aeELE:

We use Netflix through the PS3 and have the smallest cable package that includes HBO and NFL RedZone (we consider our Game of Thrones and football fixes a necessity).

Really, RedZone is for him, my team is local so they're always on, but DH is not so lucky (who told him to like a team so far away anyway?? Lol). Still, if we moved, I'd feel the same way, so I get it!

Oh and we have Apple TV too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM
I didn't think about the quality of the picture:(. I thought it'd all be the same. Darn it.

Quoting amanda_mom89:

We have a Roku2 box ($40) that we play Hulu on. Netflix has better movie selection and July has better TV selection.

Your picture quality is going to be terrible if you hook up a laptop to play on your TV. I'd use a gaming console or a streaming box type device.

I don't miss cable at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured