Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT:Do you have cable,Netflix or Hulu?

I have been thinking about getting rid of my cable. (My dh would die without it but hypothetically speaking,I am still weighing my options:)

We pay about $220 for directv.. I think that's nuts. I would like to hook up a laptop to the TV and stream tv via the websites if that's possible. (abc family,CBS,ect)

I would keep my Netflix and I am thinking of buying the Apple TV box,jail broken.

What do you use to watch TV? We have 500+ channels and we still complain there's nothing to watch! Lol
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Replies (31-40):
LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM

DirecTV over here - I require the NFL Sunday ticket.

Is it football season yet......

psychomama05
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:36 PM

We have Roku as well.  We pay subscriptions fees for Hulu plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime.  Hulu and Netflix together run us about $20 a month, and Amazon Prime is an annual subscription of (I think) $80.  Our favorite Roku channels besides the subscriptions are Pandora, VUDU, VEVO, Crunchy Roll, and College Humor.  There are several t.v. streaming devices out there to choose from.  I was attracted to the channel selection on the Roku and it was in my price range.  I was surprised at how good it felt to get rid of cable, I was giddy.

Quoting amanda_mom89:

We have a Roku2 box ($40) that we play Hulu on. Netflix has better movie selection and July has better TV selection.

Your picture quality is going to be terrible if you hook up a laptop to play on your TV. I'd use a gaming console or a streaming box type device.

I don't miss cable at all.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Amazon Prime isn't much different that netflix, they have mostly the same movies and shows. Although, I recently found Goonies on Amazon Prime, so that's really awesome, LOL

We mostly just stream netflix though. The kids love it. They don't watch as much crap TV with it. DS 10 is OBSESSED with How it's Made, Myth Busters, and documentaries.

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Amazon prime has the normal tv shows? I used to have it for the free shipping as well but this was like 2 years ago when it didn't have much selection or options.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

We stream netflix, we pay about $22 a month for 2 DVD rentals at a time plus unlimited streaming.

We also use Hulu, we used to have hulu plus, but we didn't use it enough. I watch Parenthood and Once Upon a Time on the network's website when they're on.

We also have Amazon Prime, which includes movies and whatnot. We don't use that a ton to watch movies, we usually just use it for the free 2 day shipping. 

TheMommysLife
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM

We have the dish and a roku and a wii to stream tv. If you want to get rid of cable, I would invest in a roku ($100) or a wii, with either of those devices you can stream tv via internet as long as you have a wifi connection. Also, I heard google just came out with a new device that can do the same things.

phoenixhuntress
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

My sons & I prefer Netflix & have gotten DH more into it. Main TV uses the PS3 console while DS 15 uses an iPad when in his room.  SDs mainly use Hulu since they perfer to spend most of their time in their rooms...ahhhhh teenage girls :-)

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Just when I thought dexter couldn't get better,it does! I can't wait to see what happens this Sunday!

Quoting baparrot2:

Oh and I have HBO and Showtime added until Dexter and True Blood are over.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Did you bundle it?

Quoting jlg12678:

Holy effin cow on $220. I pay $190 for high speed wireless, a landline, and extended cable with all the extras (hbo, Cinemax, showtime, tmc, starz, and encore). 

I also have netflix. It's $9 a month and I love it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM
I'm still learning how to use my brothers Apple TV and I want to see if I can Lower some of my cable channels and make up for it w the Apple TV. :-)

Quoting ritchhartm:

We have Hulu and Netflix that we stream with an Apple TV ...it is great.  I do not miss cable,but my husband sometimes misses cable during football season and misses shark week on discovery.  I would recommend it...it cut our tv expenses in half almost.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Omg. That nfl ticket is insane! Lol. My hubby loves his cowboys and they don't air on "normal" channels so we have to get the nfl ticket. It's just expensive!

Quoting LyndaLoo78:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Third year in a row I'm getting it free - I have no idea how or why...I'm not asking any questions....LMAO.  Of course they did bill me for 6 months for an extra convertor I did not have, in my basement - I don't have a basement.....

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Omg. That nfl ticket is insane! Lol. My hubby loves his cowboys and they don't air on "normal" channels so we have to get the nfl ticket. It's just expensive!

Quoting LyndaLoo78:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured