Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

new baby reaction | update

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I've got some exciting news - DH and I are expecting!

I'm roughly four weeks along (I have an appointment in two weeks). DH and I are bursting to tell SS!

I just wanted to ask everyone - How did your kids react about the news they were going to have a sibling? How old were they when you told them? How far along were you?

UPDATE: haha. There is no keeping this in; we’ve already told everyone!

We had an easy time bringing up babies; we asked SS if he’d heard about the royal baby. SS said that he had, and we asked him what he thought about it. We just talked about how excited the Royal Family was. We brought up a few other babies SS knows; his friend has a baby brother, and my SIL is three months pregnant. We talked about cool it was to hear the heartbeat of SIL’s baby. We finally told him we were also going to add to our family and have a baby.  

SS is … on the fence. He didn’t seem very excited, but he has already suggested names and nursery colors. In a later conversation I asked him if, when I have ultra sound pictures or a recording of the heartbeat, he would like to see/hear them. He said yes. He’s brought up the baby on his own, and asked some of my family if they heard the news.

He’s not too excited about the idea, but hopefully he’ll warm up.

We also told BM. DH sent her a brief text that said, “Prog is pregnant. Just wanted to let you know in case SS had any questions.” She never responded. She called hours later, super late at night, but didn’t leave a message or anything. DH text her back in the morning, telling her he missed her call and asking if she needed anything. She hasn’t responded yet.

Anyways, thanks for the congratulations guys! DH and I are beyond excited!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM

AHHH! Congrats! How exciting! We told my SS's when I was about 6 weeks along. (a little early I know) SS5 often jumps on me etc...so we wanted them to knowe early on. SS14 was fine with the news (the baby is due the day before his birthday). SS5 was a little iffy...he said he didnt want a little brother or sisiter because it would be annoying. (SS14 always complains SS5 is annoying and SO always says "well hes your little brother" so we assumed thats why he said that) He is coming around now though. He said he will be mad if its a girl though because girls are annoying. He asks me questions now...and does tricks and asks if the baby will like them etc. So he's much better about it then he was intitally. I bought him some books about getting a new sibling and being a big brother to help.

We had though that it would be opposite...with SS14 being less than thrilled and SS5 being exited. At 14 EVERYTHING is annoying to him and we figure this would be one more thing. All in all it went over well.

I had SO text BM a few weeks later to tell her and she was very positive in her response too. She even texted me congrats and some other things. I actually got a text from her last night of a funny maternity shirt that she thought was cute and wanted to show me.

Good Luck with everything!! and Congrats again!

Talis
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

We know that we will have kids in the future, but it isnt really in the works just yet. Trying to get to debt free or at least lower debt, but we've somewhat discussed it with SD already. She is excited about the prospect. Congrats on your baby! Best of luck.

Graceplustwo
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Dh told them , they were 8 and 5 , both excited and hoping for a little sister! And they love her to death..
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My SKs were ecstatic and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of their little sibling.  We were about 10 weeks along when we shared the news since we lost several before successfully carrying this one.  With one of the losses being ectopic and everything looking fantastic right up until the point the tube began bleeding, I had to see the pregnancy in the proper place and get out of major m/c risk range before sharing the news was even considerable. 

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Congratulations!  Personally, I wouldn't share with anyone til I was through the first trimester, but that's just me.  And I'm older so the risk/probability of miscarriage is higher. 

....ClvrScn.
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM

ww congrats!!!

Our kids were thrilled!!!! They were both 5 - and they are still both very excited, but they had been bugging DH to give them a sibling for a year lol

I was 12 weeks when we told them..

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM

well i just went through this!

i had recently had a miscarriage at 7 weeks so we waiting til about 12 weeks to tell the kids.

since it had just been me and my two boys for many years prior to meeting SO, i thought i should tell them alone. my younger one was happy and excited but my older one said "dont you think we have enough kids in this house?" funny part is he is the one who would walk on water for this baby lol.

i told SO that i told mine so he told his alone too. they were all excited about it.

BM found out few weeks later and blew up SO's phone late at night but he ignored er calls. the next day she called and was nice about it. said congrats etc. then within the next 6 weeks went out and got knocked up by the first don juan that came along.

congrats on your news!!!

fourandhoping
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My kids were thrilled, his eldest (now 22) was just about to birth her VERY unplanned baby so it was a little weird but she was also excited for us.  His sixteen year old had a fit, said it is not her sibling, moved out of the house and doesn't acknowledge our child together as being a part of her family at at all.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM

My step kids told me I was pregnant and there was a baby.  I had a positive test about a week after that.  We didn't announce anything until about 8 weeks.  or something like that. The kids were excited.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Congratulations!  At roughly 4 weeks along, I'd wait until at least your appt. to say anything, maybe a bit longer, depending on the age of the kids involved. Finding out about a pregnancy too early can make it really LONG for some kids... They're of the 'I want it now' age. ;) 

Mine did not react well when BF/SM told them about either of their sisters.  The boys were about 5/9 when they found out about SS1 and 8/12 when they found out about SS2.  BF and SM told the boys together about SS1 and YDS5 burst into tears and couldn't be consoled.  ODS9 also cried (he's not a crier, never has been) and walked out of xMILs house and wouldn't come back in for over an hour.  He was pissed!  BF called me, angry, trying to find out what to do.  His wife (SM) was angry that the boys weren't thrilled about the news too.  I'd guessed she was pg since she'd had the 'flu' for about 3 months by then but I never mentioned it to the boys (nor when they were around).  The boys were never under the impression BF and I would ever get back together again either.  They just were already having problems with SM and this wasn't happy news to them either.  They eventually got over it, I talked to them both (pointed out that they wouldn't be living with the new baby, they'd just visit him/her when they saw BF, and that seemed to help some).  They didn't share much joy when SS1 arrived either, but they were much more polite about it all (I'd been prepping them on the correct behavior when they went to meet him/her in the hospital and they brought gifts too).  When SS2 came along, BF got smart and didn't have SM there when he told them.  The boys were more 'shrug and what's for dinner' then though neither was happy about it again.  They still weren't getting along with SM but they were a bit older and kinda knew what they could expect this time around.  They called me (I already knew but they didn't know that) and I told them to make sure to ask BF to tell SM congratuations (even if they really didn't mean it, it's the polite thing to do) so they did and things went better.  Then they came home and vented to me. 

BF/SM told the boys when SM was about 13 weeks with SS1 and about 11 weeks when SS2 was expected. 

That said, they were boys who were NOT interested in babies/siblings.  Heck, the brothers don't even get along that well, and they live together.  It's just their way.  A friend has many children (more than 6) and each time she's pg, the boys and girls are thrilled, but her boys are very different from mine so my boys reaction I really wasn't surprised at.  (NOT that it'll happen, EVER.. but) if I was to tell mine I was going to have a baby, I'd fully expect the same reaction from them too... they're just not 'baby' boys.  They couldnt' care less.

They do love their sisters, annoying and ill-mannered as they are, but they aren't 'over the moon' for them, never ask about them, talk about them, nor want to see them, but they love them, kinda like they love their cousins (whom they also don't ask about, ask to see or call, etc.). 

I hope your news is received much more happily!  I expect it will be! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN