Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

new baby reaction | update

I've got some exciting news - DH and I are expecting!

I'm roughly four weeks along (I have an appointment in two weeks). DH and I are bursting to tell SS!

I just wanted to ask everyone - How did your kids react about the news they were going to have a sibling? How old were they when you told them? How far along were you?

UPDATE: haha. There is no keeping this in; we’ve already told everyone!

We had an easy time bringing up babies; we asked SS if he’d heard about the royal baby. SS said that he had, and we asked him what he thought about it. We just talked about how excited the Royal Family was. We brought up a few other babies SS knows; his friend has a baby brother, and my SIL is three months pregnant. We talked about cool it was to hear the heartbeat of SIL’s baby. We finally told him we were also going to add to our family and have a baby.  

SS is … on the fence. He didn’t seem very excited, but he has already suggested names and nursery colors. In a later conversation I asked him if, when I have ultra sound pictures or a recording of the heartbeat, he would like to see/hear them. He said yes. He’s brought up the baby on his own, and asked some of my family if they heard the news.

He’s not too excited about the idea, but hopefully he’ll warm up.

We also told BM. DH sent her a brief text that said, “Prog is pregnant. Just wanted to let you know in case SS had any questions.” She never responded. She called hours later, super late at night, but didn’t leave a message or anything. DH text her back in the morning, telling her he missed her call and asking if she needed anything. She hasn’t responded yet.

Anyways, thanks for the congratulations guys! DH and I are beyond excited!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
elisesmom922
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

All the kids were happy when they were told.  They are patiently waiting 3 more weeks to see if it is a boy or girl, and the popular vote is boy, b/c there are already 3 girls and a boy between DH and I. DD5 is my hold out for wanting a girl b/c "brothers are NO fun, they touch ALL your stuff."

And congrats to you!

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM

SD wasn't very old when we had DS (only 2 1/2). She was 5, almost 6 when we got pregnant with MDD, and 7 when we got pregnant with YDD. She was thrilled each time, until BM went a little crazy about it.

But, SD LOVES her siblings. DS wasn't too happy when he found out YDD was a girl, he was hoping for a brother and said it wasn't fair because SD already had a sister :)

We told the other kids pretty quickly, around 6-7 weeks. 

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Well... SD was only about 15/16months old when i found out.

We talked to her about it alot but she didnt understand at first. Halfway through my pregnancy, BM found out she was pregnant.

SD got her first 2 siblings in the same year. Our DD and BM's son. SD turned 2 three weeks afterDD was born.

SD was very protective of my belly as i got closer. She wouldnt let anyone touch me. Said it was her baby. Lol

Congrats!
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

When I had ODD DS was to young for a reaction. When I had YDD DS was mad she wasn't a boy and ODD was excited. Just recently my DH played a joke on the kids telling them I was pregnant and they are FLIPPED OUT. YDD starting crying ODD stomped off and slammed the door. DS said I know you know what causes it and how to prevent it cause you tell me all the time so how did this happen!!! They really don't want another sibling.

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

SD when i was pregnant with DD
KJH618
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM
My ss reacted horrible every time. We are on our 3rd baby. He was mad and angry to get a baby sister. The first he was only 2 and we didn't tell his mom until I was about 6 months. She said she was happy but so jealous. She started drilling ss about having a baby. He started saying baby and also started hating me. He was mean to the baby when she was born. He was 2yrs 9months when she was born. He used to head butt her when crawling, hit her with toys, push her hands off items to make her fall down, hit her from his carseat. All semi normal things for siblings with that age gap to do especially if they don't want a sibling. Then we had baby girl #2 another 2.9 years afterwards. He was a little more accepting but very disappointed to get another sister. He prayed to god she would be a brother. He was 6 when she was born and much better with her but still didn't pay much attention to her. Now almost 7 he is really helpful with 18 month old but will still tell you his 4 yr old sister is annoying and he hates her even though they play together nonstop. Seriously they play with her doll house all the time (his idea). So here we are again expecting our 3rd and final little girl. She was our attempt at a brother. They all wanted a brother but he took the news the hardest. He threw a temper tantrum and was very angry. He got over it within a few days though. We didn't tell any of the kids until we found out gender at 18 weeks. Really only waited so long bc we didn't want to hear the 4 yr old ask how many more days until the baby comes.
tyely
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Congrats! BM started trying harder to get DH back...crazy, especially since she is married and has two other children with sf! SD and both ds's were super excited :)
tyely
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
forgpt.to add...sd was 7, and ds were 6 and 9
spicy0425
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

We wanted to wait until I passed the 3 months mark. However, I was sick all the time so we had to tell my SDs when I was abut 8 wweks. because I couldn't do pick-up and drop-off anymore. It had been all my DH who took care of me and all the kids.

Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Congratulations!!!!!

My then 4yo son told me I was pregnant. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)