Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How active are your kids?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Amy
  • 14 Replies

Are they active in sports or even just day to day activities?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChelseNichole
by Chelse on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Neither of my SK's are involved in sports. SS14 is old enough that he can choose pretty much. But ss5 i think we should put into some kind of organized sport...soccer or something. I told SO I think it's important for kids to be involved in sports...but he doesnt think we should force them. All I can do really is give my opinion. It's up to him if he wants to sign them up. I do know that when my kid is born...it will definitely be in some kind of sport when it's old enough.

akm378mn
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:38 PM

My ds is only 2... but he is super active... he would like to be outside ALL the time if possible... one of his favorite things is riding his strider balance bike.  He just LOVES it. 

He really takes after my husband in being active... One Saturday my ds woke up at 5:30 and right after we ate breakfast he went to the door and said "bike?"  Well, we didn't have too many other plans at 6:00 in the morning, so we went out and he rode his bike.  :-)

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM

They're pretty active.  We live on acreage and raise and compete horses, so SD is very involved in that.  Some days, she only helps feed.  Other days, she's out their cleaning stalls, hauling water, turning horses in and out, and will ride more than one horse.  She's also game to join in any pick-up soccer, basketball, football, whatever.  She plays like a boy:  aggressive!  She's not an indoor kid.

SS8 stays out of the way of all that, preferring to deal only with chickens or harassing our lone goat (it's mutual harassment).  He and the neighbor spend a lot of time running around fighting invisible bad guys and exploring.  We've had him in sports, but he doesn't do very well in a competitive environment.  The kids his age are playing to win while he's content to goof off about missing a ball and spends half the game waving to onlookers or playing in the dirt.  Every now an again, I'll put atop a horse on a longe line, but his attention span is approximately 3.27 seconds.  Left to his own devices, he'd rather be in front of the TV, video game, or have his nose buried in a book.  He never stops wiggling or moving regardless of what he's doing, but I don't really count that towards activity.

SMInProgress
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:51 PM

My DD was always in gymnastics, hockey, swimming, track & as soon as we got custody of SS, we put him in soccer, baseball, karate to help build up his self esteem.  He was overweight with some cholesterol issues based on his bad diet.  Glad to say, he's at a healthy weight & cholesterol & grew 5 inches!  If we don't keep on top of him though, he will nap for 3 hours, which is what he did after school before he came to live with us.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Due to the time constraints of my job, they are not in sports currently.  However - they.never.stop - thank goodness all their cousins are about the same age - they can just run like crazy people.  

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM
My son is extremely active. He is active just by waking up in the morning lol he never learned to walk. He has been running since well conception. He is in soccer and we are also adding t ball in the spring. My dd is in dance. She is not as active in sports. One because she doesn't have the time to dedicate to sports with the visitation schedule and because she doesn't really enjoy sports. She is more in to arts and music. She plays the flute and the piano. She rides her bike almost daily when she is with me. She is getting enough exercise for her health but she is lacking in the other benefits that come from organized sports (in my opinion)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlockMom
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

My son is in Cub Scouts and is training for MMA (has been in various disciplines of martial arts for a long time now).  He also plays baseball and has played basketball and football.  My daughter is in cheerleading for her high school on both the competition squad and varsity football squad.  She also is in tumbling and gymnastics and has taken a bunch of different styles of dance classes.  Both kids are fairly athletic.

EricaG87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My 7 year old started dance when she was 2 years old and she will be starting her sixth year of dance this fall.  She does tap, ballet, and is also on gymnastics, she did soccer for one summer but we havnen't done it since. I feel that my 5 year old is still too emotionally immature to play any team sports right now but I'm hoping that by next year he will be ready for soccer or t-ball or somethig.  My two year old is too young right now for sports but he is showing an aptitutude for them, we need to be careful though because he only has one kidney so he can't play any sports in which the function of his kidney could be threatened though blunt force trauma or anything.  My 7 year old SD was in t-ball back in 2011 but since then she hasn't been involved in any sports (although she is taking piano lessons).  We believe that she will be in soccer this fall.  My daughter is by far the most athletic out of all of the kids so far.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM

All 3 of my daughters (14. 14. and 12) have played softball since they were 4-6ish.  DD12 is in a karate class 2 nights a week.  DD14 is on the color guard at school and had practice for 60 HOURS last week (I'm still floored about that!). 

DS7 isn't currently in any sports, but spends plenty of time playing outside with DS4. 

I think sports/activities are VERY important. 

Happily Married | BM to DD14  DD14  DD12 | Mom to DS7 & DS4 | CP | Not a SM

jules2boys
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

ODS is extremely active in his EC, in excellent physical and mental shape (as good mentally as you can be at 15 and in puberty anyway! LOL).  YDS isn't as physical as his brother but loves being outdoors and playing.  Riding his bike when he can (when we're home long enough), riding the scooter, running and playing with his friends.  He's also taken a liking to xMILs neighbors dog, so they allow YDS to take him for walks when he's over there (a lot during the summer) and he's loving it!  (I made sure the walks include picking up his poop, he wasn't just going to get the 'good' part of walking the dog! LOL)  (neighbors are elderly, dog is younger, 2 years old, so they're a good match when the neighbors aren't feeling up to a longer walk some days)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured