Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Stepchild adoption

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 9 Replies

Has anyone in NC adopted their stepchild?  Can you tell me how easy or hard it was for you?  The birth parent isn't in the picture.  She passed away in 2001.  I'm considering it but SD is 17 so still a minor.  I know this would make it more difficult in some respects.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

If SD is 17, why now?

amanda_mom89
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Yeah..same question..

Quoting pdxmum:

If SD is 17, why now?

SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

It should be fairly easy, IMO. Here after the age of 10, you also have to have the consent of the child to adopt them...so you should look into that.

DH adopted ODD7 in Feb. We started the process in Dec, ex signed over his rights and it was finalized in Feb. Cost us $1500 total.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

It wasn't in NC but ours cost about 2500 and it was a fairly simple procedure. Ex signed over his rights and it took like 6 months for it to be final.

Does SD17 want you to adopt her?

packermomof2
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Why try to adopt an almost adult?  Her mom passed away, she didn't want nothing to do with her kid and I kinda view SP adoption in those cases as trying to erase her past.  Her mom is her mom and there is no reason for you to be her mom now...

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM

What does the kid think about it?

I love SD, she's amazing; but I'd never consider adopting her unless it was something she wanted. 

sutherngrl94
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I'm just married to her dad.  I haven't been in her life for 17 years and just now deciding to do this.

Quoting amanda_mom89:

Yeah..same question..

Quoting pdxmum:

If SD is 17, why now?

sutherngrl94
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Ok.  Well I have some really good opinions here.  Most of which were ones that were in the back of my mind anyway but I guess I needed to hear them.  Thanks.

DDDaysh
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

How long have you been with her Dad?  Adult adoption is always a possibility, so unless you and SD are both absolutely sure that you want a long term, forever, parental committment, I don't think you should jump the gun. 

Also, adoption goes back and changes the birth certificate.  In some ways, this sort of "erases" the first mother.  Since her mother died, and didn't abandon her, SD may prefer to have you remain her StepMother rather than actually replacing her mother.  At 17, the only real reasons to do an adoption would be for inheritance purposes or "Next of Kin" purposes for medical decisions.  If her Dad is around and in good health, there really doesn't seem to be much of a point. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)