Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Snooping through kids cell phones..

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM
  • 47 Replies

I have seen posts where some think its wrong and I have a 11 year old which I dont go through his phone but if I felt I needed to I would.    But how would you feel if someone else went through your childs phone to read your texts and DH's texts to him?       The one who went through my sons phone was a BM in my stitch.  I was the SM.  Legally  I am not now but still considered SM in our situation.     I really am pissed.  Big difference than a mother or father going through a childs phone with justified reasons. 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

SD has a cell phone, she knows there's no expectation of privacy on her phone. DH can, and will, go through her phone, view her texts, view her browser history, etc any time he wants. If she wants to have a private conversation with someone they can do it via a phone call. 

luckystars2012
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:31 PM
3 moms liked this
Imo whoever is paying for the phone has the right to search it at any time.

Also if the phone is brought to the OPs home by the minor child the parent or stepparent has the right to search it at any time.

The ONLY reasonble expectation if privacy a child has in this house is to bathe and dress in private. Anything else-they can have privacy when they pay their own bills.
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM

My SD14 has a cell phone and iPad, and she's well aware we can check it any time.  DH and I don't check it often because there's not too much need.  Kid is very transparent in her social networking activities.  And BM lives to dig into it anyway.  A candid snapshot of SD in the same frame as a boy during a church trip can elicit a panicked string of texts and emails to DH, so suffice it to say, BM alleviates a lot of our need to go through it.  It's not uncommon for SD to bring me her phone to show me something of concern on FB or Instagram from one of her friends.  DH and I are both the type who will call the other kid's mom and let them know what's been publicly posted. 

kmur
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

for me, imo, me and my ex can go through our kids ph, fb, instagram, etc...but, a sp or a gf/bf no!! now, if that gf/bf has been around a few years and has reason to believe something is wrong or one of our kids is up to something, then they can tell me or bd, but i dont want/like someone else just going through " just because they can"...

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:43 PM
I'm confused. BM went through YOUR child's phone or did she go through her OWN child's phone? If she went through YOUR child's phone, how did she get access to it?
tiredmama42
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

My DS is 11.  His brother's (ex SS) BM went through my DS's phone.  I was the SM to her son.  She is not a BM or SM to my son,  She went through my DS's phone to read the texts that I text my DS and the texts that DH texts my DS.     Ex SS was supposed to stop and talk to DS.  But ex SS's bm came too and grabbed my DS's phone out of his hand.      OR .. lol  my ex husbands ex wife went through my sons phone.    The boys (brothers) are still close.

Quoting KnowItAll:

I'm confused. BM went through YOUR child's phone or did she go through her OWN child's phone? If she went through YOUR child's phone, how did she get access to it?

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Wow. That's not cool. I'd say something to her.

Quoting tiredmama42:

My DS is 11.  His brother's (ex SS) BM went through my DS's phone.  I was the SM to her son.  She is not a BM or SM to my son,  She went through my DS's phone to read the texts that I text my DS and the texts that DH texts my DS.     Ex SS was supposed to stop and talk to DS.  But ex SS's bm came too and grabbed my DS's phone out of his hand.   

Quoting KnowItAll:

tiredmama42
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I am at work.. so this all just happened.  Trying to calm down before I go off on her.   SHe even took my DS to her house without asking me so  "he cant talk on the phone right now"  is what he told me.

Quoting KnowItAll:

Wow. That's not cool. I'd say something to her.

Quoting tiredmama42:

My DS is 11.  His brother's (ex SS) BM went through my DS's phone.  I was the SM to her son.  She is not a BM or SM to my son,  She went through my DS's phone to read the texts that I text my DS and the texts that DH texts my DS.     Ex SS was supposed to stop and talk to DS.  But ex SS's bm came too and grabbed my DS's phone out of his hand.   

Quoting KnowItAll:

tiredmama42
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I pay for the phone its my son.   This is not his SP/SM.   I was the SM to her son.  Divorced now so not legally anything to SS now.   My texts to my DS or DH's texts to DS  really are no one elses business.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Also if the phone is brought to the OPs home by the minor child the parent or stepparent has the right to search it at any time.

The ONLY reasonble expectation if privacy a child has in this house is to bathe and dress in private. Anything else-they can have privacy when they pay their own bills.

luckystars2012
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:01 PM
So your child, and his cell phone, were at your house, and his stepbrothers bm came over and searched it? Yeah that's not okay.

Quoting tiredmama42:

I pay for the phone its my son.   This is not his SP/SM.   I was the SM to her son.  Divorced now so not legally anything to SS now.   My texts to my DS or DH's texts to DS  really are no one elses business.

Quoting luckystars2012:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)