Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what should she call me???

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM
  • 60 Replies
My step daughter is 8 and doesn't want to call me Mrs.Brandy anymore.I agree, it seems so formal. She testing out calling me mom, but her dad and I feel like only her bio mom should be called mom. We are from the south and were raised that Mrs or Miss goes in the front of a name out of respect/manors. Her dad will not let her just call me Brandy. Looking for something cute that makes her happy and not just a step daughter being both my boys call me momma.
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

What reason did she give for not wanting to call you that anymore?

3s-momma
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM
She has asked off and on if she could call me mom and the boys her brothers. She will call the boys her brothers and now it's becoming daily that she wants to call me mom. I don't want her bio mom to think that we are provoking her to do so.
divamomma22
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

She should just call you Brandy. I understand manners and tradition but you aren't her teacher or her neighbor. You are her step-mom! My SSs call me s'mom (like s'more!) or st'mom - but mostly they call me Allison. I think you are opening yourself up to a lot of drama with BM if she starts calling you mom though....

3s-momma
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I agree, we do not need any addtl drama. I want her to feel as comfortable as possible with the way things are and don't want her to stress over what to call me because it's obvious it's on her mind pretty often.
newstepmom61811
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, my SKs have nicknamed me the pink nightmare now after I beat them at Christmas Story Monopoly as the pink nightmare bunny suit character...you have to have a sense of humor and let go the formality...seriously...I'm in the south too...the Mrs. so and so thing...archaic...use your name...quit stressing the kid out and making such a big deal of something so small...you aren't mom, so that title isn't appropriate, stepmom is, she can call you "stepmommy", most shy away from this for the bad fairytale connotations but in all honesty it is totally appropriate, it is who you are...or use your name...

LoveMy2x4
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe she can call you "Steppy" or something involving the "Step" instead of the "Mom"

akm378mn
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

If you are looking for an alternative... what about looking up how to say "stepmom" in another language?  Do you have any heritage like italian or norwegian.  Might sound dumb, but you don't like adding just mom, and you aren't comfortable with just your name, so it sounds like you have to come up with something creative.  If your stepdaughter helps you look these up and come up with a name she likes, she might think it's cool.  I just googled "stepmom in another language" and it came up with translators for a bunch of different languages. 

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM
You should reconsider her calling you brandy.
packermomof2
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I'm from the south and was raised the same way.  But I make exceptions for SP's.  You can be first name or nickname and if that isn't good enough? Mrs./Mr. Lastname it is.  

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I am from the north.  I havent heard that since my kids were in daycare.  I love the southern hospitality but being a SM I think the child should be able to call you something a little less formal.  Mom isnt it. My DD called her SM mama Kathy.  It didnt bother me. Mama Brandy ? Its cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured