Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

this has always been a question in my head and was wondering what you ladies think

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 63 Replies

dh pays for the insurence on his 2 kids it says in his co kids are to be coverd... dh also pays cs. now my question is bm dosent pay copay and gets a bill say... a month of copays of 25 a week.. is dh liable to pay half. it says in co that what isent coverd is to be split.. but what about copays.... i see it as bm gets cs and that is to be used towards co pay.. really just a question i have had for about a yr now.  i say no he isent dh thinks he has to.. but said to him when sd needed glasses bm didnt pay the 50.00 copay... she had it billed sd got glasses and the bill was 200 ( insurence only covers so much ) so we paid 100 and bm paid 100. but we keep debating on the co pays... what do u mama think??

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momma2zac2006
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
We split it. Even though bm never pays her half.
tabbys4
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM

ps... bm didnt pay the 50.00 co pay and its in collections she does work and has money ontop of cs so her having no money isent the issue she tends to not pay. like her credit cards.. electric bill.... but can go out if you know what i mean...

Tx_stepmom
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

BM only took SS to the doctor twice since I've been in the picture.  And that was due to DH & I urging her to take him.  He had foot problems due to being overwieght.  The 2nd appointment, BM backed out of.  I took him and ended up paying the co-pay.  She tries to get out of paying for everything.  Now SS lives with us and we just pay for everything.  If BM pays half, we look at it as a bonus.  

tabbys4
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM

i understand splitting what isent coverd like glasses or say a foot cast but should bm be responsible to pay the copay. i know with my dd i pay the copay i dont ask my x to pay half but if dd had a bill for something not coverd or only so much coverd i just show my x the bill and we work something out like he pays xamount extra till his half is paid.  i dont know just always wonderd...

tabbys4
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Quoting Tx_stepmom:

BM only took SS to the doctor twice since I've been in the picture.  And that was due to DH & I urging her to take him.  He had foot problems due to being overwieght.  The 2nd appointment, BM backed out of.  I took him and ended up paying the co-pay.  She tries to get out of paying for everything.  Now SS lives with us and we just pay for everything.  If BM pays half, we look at it as a bonus.  

awww poor ss. i hope his foot issues are better :(  happy to hear hes with you guys now being taken care of.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

When BM was CP DH paid 50% of all bills and co-pays provided to him as well as covered SD with insurance. Although he was not ordered to pay any portion of medical bills (nothing in the CO or CS saying he was to do it)

DH is CP now and still covers SD with insurance and he pays for all co-pays and medical bills. There is nothing in the CO or CS saying that BM is required to pay anything above and beyond her CS, but she doesn't even pay that (and it's a whopping $148 a month).

ROBIN-C
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I think copays and anything insurance doesn't cover should be split 50/50 by the parents. 

Not that happens in my case,lol! Ex is suppose to provide ins, but I do and I pay for all that ins doesn't. Get to add braces to my bills soon and have no hopes of having help with them either.

tabbys4
by Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM

ladies.. im sorry you all seem to have to deal with the other parent not paying :(  we pay and do what were are supose to do..i guess the best we can. i just cant understand if u make child app to see doc in 3 weeks why not have the copay..instead of having co pays add up till its a huge amount cant pay a copay but that night can go to applebees for a drink...???  cant pay the copay but then show off her new shoes... yeah i just dont know. lol. but ladies i am sorry alot of you seem to have no help and thats just wrong.. took 2 people to make kids...2people to raise. shouldnt be one sided... myself i could see if bm was in a rough spot or really was broke but for our bm she is not.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Copays are uncovered medical expenses so yes your dh is responsible for half. Bm should also be paying her half.
pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM
The copay is still a cost, a medical expense. Where i am, the cost of insurance is calculated into CS. I pay for insurance, DH is responsible for some portion of that and it is added to the base CS calculation. He is responsible for 50% of anything over $250 a year. No differentiation between copay and any other medical expense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)