I moved in with SO and SD6 unofficially in February and officially in June. I decided to rent out my house instead of sell so I currently have tenants in my house.
Based on the fact that SO put so much money down on the house he purchased in February (for us to live in together) our combined household bills are very reasonable and much more affordable than what I was paying when I was living alone. I am also making a profit on my rental.
Lately SO has been talking about doing some home improvements (patio, hard wood floors, etc). Although he always says that "he" has to decide what to do and "he" wants to pay the best price, etc. I feel partially like I should offer to chip in, especially since his investment in the house has reduced my monthly expenses so dramatically.
HOWEVER, we are not married yet (or engaged) which means I have no right to the house or anything in it if (god forbid) things didn't work out I would have invested money I could never get back. I remember when my cousin contributed to a house that didn't belong to her I told her she was crazy. That she should wait until she and the BF were at least engaged.... as it turned out, they broke up and she was caught in a situation where she had contributed a significant amount to home improvements but she never saw any of that money again. Although since I'm fairly certain that a proposal is coming soon, perhaps I should just wait until that happens before I make the overture? Thoughts?