Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

The invinsible stepmom...anyone out there been there?

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
  • 43 Replies

Update***

This post originally posted was about an argument between me and my stepdaughter , she threw the remote, was punished with no tv that night ..and life goes on right? wrong..

when stepdaughter goes home....
a couple hours later I received a text mesage from her mother telling me" that she knows about what happened ( our argument) and that I need to know my place" she says. " at the end of the day that's My daughter". I didn't respond. because I found no need to argue with bm over this.

my skids came over this weekend... I greeted them as usual. my sd wont talk to me. I made several attempts to break the ice between us through out thid weekend but she won't look at me. so I gave her space. that meant being invinsible all weekend. friday Saturday and Sunday not even bye when shr left.
I am not letting it show that her not acknowledging me hurts me. I'm just letting her be.

I know she is a 12 year old kid, so im not making much of this at home. But its such an uncomfortable situation... i thought i should reach out to my fellow stepmoms ...

so I just wanted to know if there are any other stepmoms out there who have gone through this with their stepdaughters? please tell me I'm not alone & any helping positive tips. please.

***************************************************************************************************

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leigh84
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Tuff one, maybe give it a day for the situation to cool down then try to talk to her. In the mean time try to stay away from each other.

Did anything happen before you asked for the remote that might of pissed her off?
keepingmycool
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:23 PM
nope. we were watching tv.
DDDaysh
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:38 PM
6 moms liked this
Honestly, she's 12. This is not a huge deal. Your husband should give her a consequence for throwing the remote (like maybe no TV tonight, or tomorrow, whatever) and life goes on. A 12-year-old throwing a hissy fit is not really a big crisis. It's a minor parenting ordeal.
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Have you attempted to find out why she was in such a foul mood?

My SD had her turd moments at 12. Something would happen, and she'd take my head off over it. I'm not one to let things that clearly aren't about me slide. She'd get mad then cry, then spill the beans about her day, and we'd both cry a little. Lots of drama, lol. But 12 is a funky age. I would say if you did nothing to provoke the reaction, then you were merely a scapegoat for emotions already building and should try to find out what's going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amylulu1
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Sounds like my bio dds at that age...what was her consequence for her behavior and disrespect?

OvrMyHead
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM
2 moms liked this
SD disrespected you and should get a punishment. When the punishment is over sd should write an apology letter to you and make amends. I suggest part if the punishment be no tv for a certain length of time.
keepingmycool
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
thanks so much for your help ladies. I too think that it may be the age.
keepingmycool
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM
consequence ...that night her and her dad had a conversation about it. but no apologies yet...no punishment either....I spoke to her dad about it. he says he's going to fix that today..... the thing is I don't want her to not wanna come over because of this ...my husband would be heart broken if she didn't wanna come.
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
She is 12. I wouldn't take it personally it is typical hormonal 12 yo behavior. That does not make it okay or without consequence however I think you are putting way too much stock in it and reading far too much into it.
Rachael-Dawn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a normal 12 year old deal. I am NOT looking forward to that. Her dad should lay down the law and let her know it is not a happenin deal to treat anyone like that. Maybe no tv for some time he chooses. Maybe 1 or 2 days.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN