Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

What would you do if someone took your kid to get a piercing?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

Teacher Takes Kid Out of Class to Get His Private Parts Pierced

by Jeanne Sager

needleHere's a nightmare story for parents. A teacher took a teenage student to have his genitals pierced. Talk about crossing a major line, y'all.

And I'm not just talking about the rather, ahem, personal nature of this teen's new jewelry. I don't care where my kid is getting a new hole in her body; I want to be there!

The parents in this case out of South Africa are almost lucky it was a teacher. The school is taking care of disciplining the educator for crossing the line, and there are possible criminal charges pending.

But what if it isn't a teacher? What if it's a relative? Or a friend? What do you do if another adult takes your kid to get pierced -- be it in the penis or just in the ears?

Here in the states, it's illegal in many states to pierce someone without their parent or legal guardian present, so you do have legal recourse ... if you want to go that route. Or you can simply cut the person out of your life and your kid's life.

But you have to do something, right?

Because piercing isn't a decision a kid should make without a parent weighing in. It's not a decision kids should take lightly. It can be dangerous (God forbid the piercer's equipment isn't very clean or they aren't adept at piercing), and depending on the placement of the piercing or the quality of the piercing, it can be permanent.

Permanent is not something we want to attribute with teenage choices. These are the kids who thought Justin Bieber was cool last week. This week it's Twerking. Next week, who knows ... but it will most certainly be something completely different.

Teenagehood is all about impermanence.

It's about impulsivity.

It's about making choices ... and then changing your mind five minutes later.

It's about being dumb enough to think getting your penis pierced is a good idea.

Which is why teenagers still have parents. And why we get to make the decisions about what they pierce -- not other random adults ... not even teachers.

What would you do if someone took your kid to get a piercing?

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMy2x4
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Murder. Just Kidding, kinda.

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I would be extrememely irritated if I hadn't ok'd it to begin with...but they can always be removed. I would however probably limit my childs future interaction with that person if possible.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I'd be livid.

We took SD to get her ears pierced a few months ago, it was right before she turned 13. However, DH discussed it with BM before he did it.

I would probably file some sort of complaint against whomever did the piercing (because in our state a legal parent or guardian has to sign the permission forms), the person who took my child that would depend on my relationship with them. A teacher? They'd be facing ALL sorts of legal trouble. A family friend or family member? That would be THE LAST time I trusted them with my child, and very well could ruin our relationship.

Drumama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM

The kid would have to be 18 to get his junk peirced.

And at that age I am betting it isn't mommy or daddy taking him to the peircing studio.

Technically you aren't fully developled to make choices until your mid 20s.

I got tattoos when I was in my teens. Half my life later (17 years) I have no regrets about the tattoos I got 17 years ago.

Drumama
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Only a parent or legal guardian can get a child pierced. If an adult who was not a parent (me or my dh) to my minor children took them to get pierced I'd be livid. I'd also file a lawsuit against  the place that did the piercing, or press charges or whatever I could do.I am a tattooed and pierced mommy and proud of it.

But with a legal adult, which is what the child would have to be in our country (not South Africa), I can't dictate to my child of legal age what they can and cannot do.

Momniscient
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I cannot control everything. So, my approach is to teach my kid about impulse control and communication. Something is wrong if a teenager is willing to seek out another adult to do something forbidden.

That doesn't mean I will allow free for alls but I will strive to be open and honest with my kid so that I can reduce the need for that kind of rebellion.

If it did happen, I'd take appropriate action against the other adult and I would tell teenager that the piercing should come out while under my roof. The reason being that there are consequences for all actions and the consequence of making that choice is that piercing cannot be worn while being parented by myself.

melishere
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Not right tell them to mind there own buisness and your child is your child

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My BIL got my ODD ears pierced without our permission. We got the store in a whole lot of trouble which included a firing and my BIL wasn't allowed alone with our kids for a long time.

jules2boys
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I'd be in jail for assault.

BrandiGra
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I would put a few holes in their body.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN