Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

House key for the step kids

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 44 Replies

SMs, do your step kids have the key to your house?

How do you make sure your identification, your financial information are not taken to someone who should not have it? 

At what age you make the spare key of the house for your step kids?

UPDATE#1

BM is an ok person when her finance is not in shamble. She is in a good place financially now since her husband is a very responsible man. However, when BM was in financial trouble, like everyone else, can turn to become shady. On top of that, BM's mom is "dying" to get into our new house. I don't know why. My OSD used to go through my purse, my files that kept in the room we used as office. Her dad caught her taking the 1st page of my 401k statement a few years ago when BM came back from another state. There was more to this story, but I won't bother you with the details. 

Since the SDs are in middle school now, and BM's mom is volunteering to pick up/drop off for after school activities, the girls have been asking us if they can have the keys of the new house. Under normal circumstances, I'd give they key to them within a heart beat.

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:22 AM
No, only DH has a house key
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:25 AM

SD lives with us full time. She's going into middle school and will be getting a house key in the next couple of weeks. If SD didn't live with us full time, I don't know when she'd get a key to the house, I guess maybe 16 when she was old enough to get herself back and forth between our house and BM's.

And it's very rare that someone isn't home, and on the occasion that there is no one home, our dog is still here. If say, BM tried to get into the house with SD's key, it wouldn't end well for her. 

SMInProgress
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Skid used to have a house key & alarm code. He doesn't have it any longer. 1. he misplaced, twice! 2. he'd sleep after school, all day & stay up all night 3. he's acting up lately so I'm not taking chances, I was burned by his older brother before..guilt by association:)

pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:10 AM

All my kids, step and bio, have a key.  

LoveMy2x4
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM

We dont have a key. We have one of those little code things that unlock the door. All the kids know it.

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this

LMAO I have the code to BM#1's house.   I guess it really boils down to how much you trust the other parent.  I can't imagine a day when my kids didn't have a key to my house.

spicy0425
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

BM is an ok person when her finance is not in shamble. She is in a good place financially now since her husband is a very responsible man. However, when BM was in financial trouble, like everyone else, can turn to become shady. On top of that, BM's mom is "dying" to get into our new house. I don't know why. My OSD used to go through my purse, my files that kept in the room we used as office. Her dad caught her taking the 1st page of my 401k statement a few years ago when BM came back from another state. Since the SDs are in middle school now, and BM's mom is volunteering to pick up/drop off for after school activities, the girls have been asking us if they can have the keys of the new house. In normal circumstances, I'd give they key to them within a heart beat.

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

LMAO I have the code to BM#1's house.   I guess it really boils down to how much you trust the other parent.  I can't imagine a day when my kids didn't have a key to my house.

aeELE
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Sorry, my SS too young for practical experience in this matter, but I like to think we'd give him one as soon as he actually needed it.

Then again, if I had gone through your history, I imagine I would be more guarded.
phoenixhuntress
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

All the kids here have a key to get in (my sons & his daughters) but only DH & I have keys to the top deadbolt lock. We lock that when everyone is gone or when the girls are with their mother & DH/I won't be home.  HE doesn't trust their mother.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

SS's both have a key to our house and their Mom's.  She very well could have made a copy and been in my  home, I have no idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)