Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Step Parents Income is counted - hmmm

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM
  • 38 Replies

So, I am looking into SSI - Disability for my son. As some of you know he has several social/emotional/behavioral disabilities that make things very difficult for him. It is restricting me from obtaining a second job, because he needs me available for his multiple therapies.

So as I am reading the guidelines for receiving SSI for my sons conditions, I see that the income of the natural parent is counted - okay, that makes sense. I then see that the step parent living in the home, if he/she has an income, it is counted.

This seems so ass backwards to me.

A step parent has no rights under HIPAA, unless granted by a natural/adoptive parent or legal guardian, yet their income is to be counted for a medical supplement.

I can understand if only half of the standard deduction is made for SP and BP's children together and no deduction for SP's kids with other people. ( I think it's 356 per child )

I can understand getting half of the couple deducation instead of a single deduction ( couple is 1,066 and single is 710 )

It just seems WRONG that a step parent is required to fork over their financial information, when they get no legal say in the care and treatment of the child.

Thoughts? Opinions?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree COMPLETELY! !! ASS BACKWARDS! !
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I think it is fair. You are asking for aide.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:10 AM

yep, that's what we found. SS was getting it before we got married.  After we got married we turned our stuff in then DH had to repay the next month or two because they couldn't shut it off fast enough.

But the income limit is around 60k for a family of 5.

DDDaysh
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Been there, done that.  It's not just SP income.  The income of ANYONE in the home is counted unless the child qualifies for a waiver based on a specific disability.  

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
It's the same for financial aid for college, it is the income in the home in which the child resides. I think it's fair, all of the income coming into your home should be considered.
....ClvrScn.
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I can see your point, but I have no problem getting a second job, I'm not afraid to work ( see my reply to your post about paying for it all ).i just can't, because then my son wouldn't receive the proper care.

I didn't plan to have a child with special needs, but then again, I didn't plan on becoming a single mom to two. ( For those that don't know, one of the main reasons I am applying for this aide is because my husband and I are "taking a break" due to some of his more idiotic choices in life, and these choices will also prevent him from paying child support )

So I guess this doesn't apply to me, but I do think that it should be looked at differently than other forms of assistance..

This is assistance based on medical need.

Quoting baparrot2:

SMInProgress
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

It's financial aid, that's how it goes. Everyone, residing in home, is counted. Even in educational financial aid, the BP has to list the SP's income as well.  Our BM gets SSI/SDI claiming she can't work because she's bipolar. She claimed older boy was going to college but he wasn't. She just wanted to collect the CS from us till 21-in-school (my state's law). The adult boy was working instead AND living with BM but she also did not tell his income to the state because that would have jeapordized the current amount she gets.

But agree, it sucks about the lack of stepparents rights but we get all the financial responsibilities & bills.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Same with financial aid for college.  DHs income is included in DD19s calculations.  And they have zero legal relationship!

It feels unfair, but it really isn't...

Quoting baparrot2:

....ClvrScn.
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I really think that is so ridiculous too.

My little brother, 20 years old, living on his own since he was 17, working not one, but two jobs ( one as a mechanic, one as a chef ), had to have my dad's information for FAFSA.

The EFC was something ridiculous and my brother was denied for all grants and alot of loans. He ended up having to pay upfront cash for most classes, dragging his two year degree out, making is take him 4 years, to be able to pay for it all, and losing more FA because he wasn't a "full time student ".

If parents/step parents income is going to be counted, then they should be forced to pay. If we can't force the parent/step parent to pay ( which would be crazy because the child is an adult ) then the income should not be counted.

Quoting mom2boys664:

It's the same for financial aid for college, it is the income in the home in which the child resides. I think it's fair, all of the income coming into your home should be considered.

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Oh I get it!

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

I can see your point, but I have no problem getting a second job, I'm not afraid to work ( see my reply to your post about paying for it all ).i just can't, because then my son wouldn't receive the proper care.

I didn't plan to have a child with special needs, but then again, I didn't plan on becoming a single mom to two. ( For those that don't know, one of the main reasons I am applying for this aide is because my husband and I are "taking a break" due to some of his more idiotic choices in life, and these choices will also prevent him from paying child support )

So I guess this doesn't apply to me, but I do think that it should be looked at differently than other forms of assistance..

This is assistance based on medical need.

Quoting baparrot2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)