Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Taking kids out of school for vacation

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 31 Replies

My sds are 7 and 8.  Since they've been in Kindergarden, their mom has taken them out of school for 1-2 weeks to go to Florida.  Their grandparents live down there, so I understand visiting but I feel like they should only go over the summer and not be taken out of school to go to Disney.  I can understand taking a special trip one year to go but this is every year.  What are your thoughts on this?

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as they are keeping up with their assignments and grades and are not falling behind, I don't see a problem with it. I think some of the best learning happens out of school on vacations.
theshanster17
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Is it a constant 1-2 weeks every school year? Does she not have them during the Summer for a long-enough time to take them during that time instead?

I am actually a stickler for school and I feel that kids should be in school when they are in school. There was only one time I was able to get out of school for a month, and we went on a trip to the Philippines when my maternal Grandfather passed away and was buried. My parents, who hadn't been back to the Philippines for about five years, didn't want to just stay for two weeks, so we made it a long trip. I did all of my homework while I was away.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

It's not so detrimental when they're younger but I would guess that at some point, even the kids may voice an opinion and not want to miss that much school.  I know that my SDs and their cousins all got to that point around 6th grade.  They too were used to annual trips to FL to visit the granparents.  It was THEY who asked to stop missing school.

As long as the kids are good students and able to make up the work without too much stress, I don't see an issue with it when they're young.  As they get older though, I think it can be more complicated.  Some schools have a limit on how many days of school a child can miss.  Even if the vacation doesn't put them over the edge, what if they later get sick?  Our school is pretty strict about that.  If they miss more than X (can't remember how much) they get held back supposedly.

I think it would also be frustrating as a teacher to have a kid missing huge chunks of learning time and then have *some* parents expect the teacher to put in extra time to catch a kid up. 

If it were a once in a lifetime trip to Europe or something, some teachers will waive projects and assign a special project (they did for my SDs) but for a regular family vacay, I personally wouldn't be pulling my (imaginary) kids out of school annually.

What does your DH think about it?

apmmoc
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM

They just got back from a 2 1/2 week trip to Florida, that's why I can't understand why she's thinking about going again in October.  I was thinking the same thing, that maybe as they get older they will voice their own opinion that they don't want to miss out on school activities.  My DH doesn't like it either but there's not much he can do about it.   I never missed school for anything and I guess that's why I can't understand her thinking when it comes to this - I guess we were raised differently. 

wyomom4
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

In our district if a child misses more than 10 days in a semester, they automatically fail. They are still required by law to attend but won't receive any credit for it. The only exception being an extended absence due to illness, and even then they have a home bound program the child must be enrolled in, and a teacher visits them for 1 hour every day.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I never missed school either but my Dad had a job where he could take vacay in the summer and Mom wasn't working.  Plus, we got awards for perfect attendance and i was all about that as a kid!  LOL

It's a foreign concept to me but not a lot of people, especially when the school year has been stretched out to accommodate so many more inservice days.  When I was in school, it didn't start til after Labor Day and it ended the first week of June. Now many schools have started already and will go til Mid June with lots of 3 days weekends and mid week inservices.  

Quoting apmmoc:

They just got back from a 2 1/2 week trip to Florida, that's why I can't understand why she's thinking about going again in October.  I was thinking the same thing, that maybe as they get older they will voice their own opinion that they don't want to miss out on school activities.  My DH doesn't like it either but there's not much he can do about it.   I never missed school for anything and I guess that's why I can't understand her thinking when it comes to this - I guess we were raised differently. 

baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I am NOT a stickler when it comes to school. Travel and experiences and family have as much wealth as school does. Just as long as there are no chances of failing grades.....go for it!

DDDaysh
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

My thoughts are that your SD's aren't your children so you should MYOB.  This is not one of those places to get involved in the fight as a step-parent.  

If your husband hates this, he could always try to challenge the trips in court and get the judge to order them not to go.  Unless the girls are having education or attendance problems, however, he probably won't win.  

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Do the kids struggle in school?

jlg12678
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

It depends.

The vacations wouldn't bother me if grades are good and the kids aren't struggling.  Bm let the skids miss enough time last school year that osd was dropped letter grades in several classes simply due to attendance...that imo is not ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN