Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

my rights in education

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 68 Replies
My stepson has been having behavioral problems at a school he is new to. When I picked him up this week I asked his teacher if there was any improvement. She told me that she legally can not discuss that with me but will be more then happy to email his dad and he can share it with me. Is this correct? Do I have no rights here? If we all want the same tjing which is the child's improvement why is it so hard? Please help
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you the custdodial home?  You might have sme specific limited rights to obtaining some information. through FERPA.

Otherwise as a SM, you have no legal rights.

packermomof2
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:59 AM

You have no rights to other people's children.  No reason for you to.  Dad can get the information and tell you.

I think it is okay for the teacher to tell you no.   

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:00 AM
I agree with the above. Are you in the custodial home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmoen1977
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this

Since the teacher won't share how about having the father contact the school and have you put on the ok list for the school to talk to.  I would also make sure to also have a medical release in your purse

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Are you married and does your husband have custody the residential home?  If so you may be defined as a "parent" under FERPA and the school can share information with you.

If not, the teacher is right.

CFSTBSM27
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
The teacher is right 100%
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM
It sounds like bm is very involved and has spoken to the teacher, in which case you don't have many rights. Unless, as previously stated, your home is the custodial home.
LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Aug. 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Are you custodial or non-custodial?  

Custodial step-parents have the same rights to information under FERPA as a bio-parent; non-custodial parents are viewed as legal strangers.  

If the teacher was uncertain, and you are custodial, she erred on the side of caution to adhere to federal regulations.   

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this

the way our school works (yep I checked) is if I can pick him up then I get full access to him.  His grandma is on his pick up list and she went to the school and changed his bus drop off and no one even called DH or me to approve (which was fine because we asked her to help but I'm still surprised they didn't call).  I think it all depends on if BM is really in the picture and involved or not though....  GL  I think if you care enough to ask then teacher could have provided you with a "fake" answer even if she isn't allowed to give details.  "Yep Kid did a lot better, I will email Dad and give him an update" or (smiling) "we have a ways to go, and I will email Dad and give him an update".... I think its all in the manner of the words, if legally she needed to tell you "no" then she could have done it without actually telling you "no" and then told you "no" if you pushed harder.

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this

This is very strange that a teacher would tell you this. My guess is that the mother asked the teacher not to discuss anything with you.

I would let the teacher email the dad, as she suggested. That way you will get the information. That should work fine, no?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN