Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Birth Control Pills reimbursable medical expense?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

16 year-old SD just went on the birth control pill.  Mom and dad both feel that SD should be paying for it.  So, does "birth control" fall under medical expenses that mom and dad should share?  I suppose mom and dad could share the expense per the CO, and THEN ask SD to reimburse them back, eh?  What do you ladies think about this? Thanks!

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that the parents should be paying for it...unless they would rather me paying child support for their minor child and grandchild.

DDDaysh
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

The last time I checked, this was a medication.  Why in the world aren't her parents paying for her medication?  

D-Town
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Well either the parents can pay the few measly dollars for birth control or a few thousand to raise the child that gets created. 

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Thank you president Obama - my DDs BC is free.  I know the rules have not been rolled out for all plans, but for mine it has.  That was a nice surprise for me.

And you should make it free for this 16 year old.  So short sighted of her parents.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM
If daughter asked for it then I would make her pay for it- kinda a life lesson. If this is mom and dads idea as prevention then they should pay for or split it. It can't be too aweful expensive on insurance...or won't the health dept give it free?
DDDaysh
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Ya!  There's a reason they try to give out free condoms in high school.  

I sort of see the idea behind trying to teach the lesson of, "if you think you're old enough to play, then you're also old enough to pay," but I think it does seem short sighted of her parents.  

Teenagers aren't exactly known for their foresight and responsible attitudes.  If a teenager has to decide between paying for her birth control or going to the opening of the next Twilight film (or whatever the newest smash hit is), they'll probably pick the film and trust some stupid old wives tale to prevent pregnancy.  Lubbock, Texas had an epidemic one year because the kids believed that chugging a Mountain Dew before having sex made a guy sterile!  *SMH*

Quoting pdxmum:

Thank you president Obama - my DDs BC is free.  I know the rules have not been rolled out for all plans, but for mine it has.  That was a nice surprise for me.

And you should make it free for this 16 year old.  So short sighted of her parents.

NonSMom
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM

BUMP!

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Her parents should be paying for it unless they would rather be taking care of a grand child. Chances are if she's having sex she will do it w/or w/o birth control
NonSMom
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Do any of you feel that the need for "birth control" is a lifestyle choice, not a medical condition?   

My bottom line question for DH is if this is CO-shared medical expense?

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You bumped so I guess you didn't hear what you wanted to hear.  BC are a medical expense, although perhaps not medically necessary like braces so technically one of the parents might be able to get out of reimbursing the other their half...

And as far as making DD pay for them, parents can set whatever rules they want, but you didn't need to hear that.

Do you agree or disagree with mom and dads decision?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN