Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

bed wetting...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM
  • 14 Replies
Both sks sd 11 and ss 6 wet the bed regularly. I've tried everything! We limit liquids, potty before bed, pull ups, plastic mattress covers, etc. Pull ups help because honestly it's a mess and smells horrible. Dh will forget to tell them to put them on when he puts them to bed and it pisses me off. Sd also forgets almost every night and her urine stinks the worse I'm constantly doing loads of laundry and bleaching mattress pads. Whenever I speak with dh about it he gets his feelings hurt but he's not the one who has to pick up the mess when they pee. I can understand ss forgetting his pull up but sd is in middle school! If she had her period she would remember to put on a pad she's been a wetter for 11 years how can she forget? We've been to urologist and he's ruled out medical issues. Any ways I don't want to embarrass sd but I feel like it's getting ridiculous. Should there be consequences for not putting on her pull up or should I just wait it out? Any ideas on how to help stop the wetting totally? My ds complains about their room smelling and I can understand even though I tell him to shut up. Lol dh has bedwetting throughout his family but we never did. I understand it's medical but can't everyone just put on the pull ups and save me some time? Lol Please feel free to tell me if I'm being a bitch. I definitely don't want to handle this wrong.
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aeELE
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Why isn't their father cleaning up his kids? 

Don't get me wrong, I help when SS3 has an accident, but I want to help and it is appreciated by DH. 

Fullhouse1168
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Because with dh if I rely on him the children would have to wear life vests just to go in there rooms. He's very "busy"

Quoting aeELE:

Don't get me wrong, I help when SS3 has an accident, but I want to help and it is appreciated by DH. 

fivegirls333
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:33 PM

wow!  this one would be really tough for me.  i have a special needs daughter and we have many accidents...but she really cannot help it.  if these are normal functioning children?  i would be pissed off!!!  even at six!  my five year old does everything herself!...i may make sure the shampoo is thoroughly rinsed, but that is about it!  i would get them in to see a therapist asap so that i was not the "bad" guy.  they will definitely help you fix this situation.  there should definitely be rewards and consequenses!  that is ridiculous and i am sure your whole house stinks!!!  you guys are probably just used to it!  i hope someone on here has some positive things to say because this would really offend me.  prayers and blessings!  ugh, the laundry!...and the mattresses!  yuck!

Fullhouse1168
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM
My ds and dd share rooms with them. I don't want them living in smelly pee because dh doesn't handle the kids messes.

Quoting Fullhouse1168:

Because with dh if I rely on him the children would have to wear life vests just to go in there rooms. He's very "busy"

Quoting aeELE:

Graceplustwo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Same problem here ss6 almost 7 wears pull ups every night.. but he ALWAYS remembers to put one on or ask for it. The only thing I can figure out why he wets bed is he was never potty trained correctly. Now I know " correctly" is always up for debate but in my ss case his parents never woke him up in middle of night when he was learning to get him in the habbit if waking up and therefore doesn't know how to wake himself up to go use the bathroom. . In your sd case being so old and not having a medical reason I hate to say but is it possible she suffered sexual abuse. That is a common case of bedwetting at an older age. But I agree I'd dh won't put the pullup on HE CAN CLEAN THE PISS!! I'd be super pissed but in my case the only burden is buying those expensive adult size pull ups. Good luck
Fullhouse1168
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
LOL I gag with bleach in my lungs it's horrible. My nose is great so I know they have one from down the hall. My friend's house always smelled from her brothers so I hope I'm not used to it. Fortunately my brutally honest family have never said it did.

Quoting fivegirls333:

wow!  this one would be really tough for me.  i have a special needs daughter and we have many accidents...but she really cannot help it.  if these are normal functioning children?  i would be pissed off!!!  even at six!  my five year old does everything herself!...i may make sure the shampoo is thoroughly rinsed, but that is about it!  i would get them in to see a therapist asap so that i was not the "bad" guy.  they will definitely help you fix this situation.  there should definitely be rewards and consequenses!  that is ridiculous and i am sure your whole house stinks!!!  you guys are probably just used to it!  i hope someone on here has some positive things to say because this would really offend me.  prayers and blessings!  ugh, the laundry!...and the mattresses!  yuck!

newstepmom61811
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Bullshit...make it his problem...a trick I used..."messe" the kids left ended up in the driver's seat of DHs car for a very short while...he got my point...to drive he HAD to deal with the kids crap I picked up and put in his driver's seat...I MADE him feel the inconvenience...we have never dealt wight he issue again...maybe a set of sheets in his car would get his attention....it's mean, it WILL start a fight...you will be heard...

Quoting Fullhouse1168:

Quoting aeELE:

paulswifey11
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM
There is a "switch" that turns on in a child's brain that helps them control tgeir bladder. Some kids it happens early in life some as late as 13 and a few later than that.
Stress can also cause it. May not be laziness.
Btw they are both old enough to clean up their messes. Do they have plastic sheets? If not get some they are awesome. (11 year old diabetic who can't control her bladder) if so make them get up change sheets, take bath ( may have to help 6 year old) and put pee clothes and pee bed clothes in washer. Have the 11 year old start washer and then when done make them change it to dryer. Make them make their beds.
Problem solved. No one smells pee and you don't have to do anything.
DDDaysh
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM
What about simply checking before bed? Tell your DH to stop being a lazy butt and go check.
DDDaysh
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Wetness sensing alarms are just about the only method for stopping bed wetting that has shown any clinically measurable results, except the medications that are not designed for long term use. However, the alarms don't work for all kids and they usually require parental involvement to be successful. If they have not been tried yet, I would suggest trying one for the 11-year-old since I am guessing that she is forgetting the pull-up because she is embarrassed.

Oh, and if that doesn't work, maybe try a different style of pull-up. If you are still using goodnights they may be too babyish for her. Look online and see if you can find some adult small or teen sizes that don't have designs. Xpmedical has a few different brands. Or you could try the new depends ones they have been advertising on tv...

Do you know how late your DH wet the bed? This can sometimes (though not always) be an indication of when a child will stop. DS's dad was an occasional wetter well into his teens, and even did once when we were together. DS's older sister was special needs and never really toilet trained. So, I really got lucky that DS has never on e wet the bed. (Though that is partially because I didn't bother to ate him out of pull-ups at night until he'd gone through a whole pack without using one.)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)