Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

For those of you who don't know this....

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 70 Replies
5 moms liked this

I thought it was common knowledge that a stepparent should not spank their stepchild.  Sheesh. 

If you are a CSM with NOOOOO BM in the picture, then I guess I can accept that. 

BUT BUT BUT.....if there is a BM who tells you that she does not want you to spank her child, then WHY on earth would you continue to spank said child??? 

Oh, and for the record, 12 year olds are too old to get spankings.  I mean, really.  In fact, I think spankings have a very small window of effectiveness in the first place and if you have to spank your 12 year old, then you have already screwed up big time. 

That is all.  Carry on. 

Happily Married | BM to DD14  DD14  DD12 | Mom to DS7 & DS4 | CP | Not a SM

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM
4 moms liked this

I am completely against spanking. I dont even spank my dog. I just dont think anything but emotional harm can come from it. "hit someone to get them to do something you desire" just doesnt sit well with me at all.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Did you see the post earlier where sm said she spanked her 12 year old ss? And she was shocked that mom called cps on her? I hope it was a troll post.

Quoting baparrot2:

I am completely against spanking. I dont even spank my dog. I just dont think anything but emotional harm can come from it. "hit someone to get them to do something you desire" just doesnt sit well with me at all.

packermomof2
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting cmm443:

I don't fully agree with this.  IMO it depends on each family.  Personally, I say if you are the SM and BD is ok with you spanking the stepchild when the child is in the SM's care then it is ok. 

I say if dad gives his wife permission and mom says that SM needs to keep her hands of the kid, SM needs to keep her hand off the kid.  I don't care if my ex gives anyone permission to do it, they aren't just his kids and I dont want them spanked.  

If dad wants to spank he is free to do so.  He is not free to allow others to do so.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

There is no theory under the son in which I can accept that it's okay to spank a child that is not yours when at least one of the bioparents is against it.  I don't care if Dad is cool with it.  Mom isn't.  It's questionable that bioparents have the right to spank their own kids.  More and more it's becoming unacceptable.  But I will venture to say that Dad has the right to spank his own child if he chooses to do so, but that right is NOT transferable to SM or any other person.  I'm just floored that people think spanking another person's child is okay. 

Quoting cmm443:

I don't fully agree with this.  IMO it depends on each family.  Personally, I say if you are the SM and BD is ok with you spanking the stepchild when the child is in the SM's care then it is ok. 

With that said, I don't spank and have never spanked my SS because I don't care to give BM any reason to question me.  My husband has spanked his son a few times, but not much at all and hasn't done it in a long time.  Personally, I'm not convinced that spanking is an effective choice of discipline for a child of any age but that's because I wouldn't want to teach a child it is not ok use physical means to get your way and then turn around and spank them.  I do agree that a 12 year old is too old for spanking or being put in the corner even if they are autistic.  

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I agree.

annabl1970
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I am against spanking. I stated it in that post the same. IMO Spanking is humiliating and not effective at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momma_1985
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I am a CSM but I dont even spank, I dont believe that is a form of discipline and it gets to that point then Ill let DH handle that.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

I totally agree with everything you just said.  And putting them in a corner?  And she was blaming the drama on mama.  She better be glad she is dealing with that mama.  Most would be worse, I know I would be.  She should have taken the first CPS call as a sign to STOP hitting another person's child.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

It was the THIRD time CPS has been called by mom.  Mom needs to file assault and battery charges on SM.  I would have with the first occurrence.  I also would be filing for emergency full physical and legal custody with BF having supervised visits outside of the home shared with SM.

SM says she is a RN.  The woman is a dolt!  Does she not know what she is doing can cause her to have all of her licensing revoked?

Quoting KnowItAll:

Did you see the post earlier where sm said she spanked her 12 year old ss? And she was shocked that mom called cps on her? I hope it was a troll post.

Quoting baparrot2:

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I know right??  What the hell was she thinking?  I just can't get over it.  She seemed genuinely surprised that CSP had been called on her like 6-something times in a year.  Gee, I wonder why???

Quoting GlockMom:

I totally agree with everything you just said.  And putting them in a corner?  And she was blaming the drama on mama.  She better be glad she is dealing with that mama.  Most would be worse, I know I would be.  She should have taken the first CPS call as a sign to STOP hitting another person's child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN