Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

loving them like your own? Is it possible

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 71 Replies

Is it possible to really love your step children like your own? I think it is I have been raising my step daughter Peyton who is 10 since she was a two years old. Her mother has always been in and out of her life. Her mom is an alcoholic and does drugs. I also have a son of my own Jacob who is 7. I treat Peyton just like I do Jacob I love her just as much. Do you think its possible? 

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:18 PM

How often does your SD see her mom at this point?

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM

im sure some people can. i don't. but they have a mom present so i dont need to. they arent here full time. i do love them but not like i love my own three. i do treat them fairly though.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Also I noticed you made this post 18 minutes after you joined cafemom. 

you sure work fast.

pinklove383
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

SD sees her mom maybe once or twice a year depending on when she calls she is very uninvolved. Peyton is like a daughter to me she calls me mom I do everything for her. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

How often does your SD see her mom at this point?

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's situational.

I love SD as much as I love DS and DDs. However, my bond with her is completely different. There's a different bond with a child when you've birthed them, breast fed them, etc. 

GlockMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM
3 moms liked this

No.  I don't feel that is possible.  I LOVE my two SS.  I have been CSM to both of them for extended periods of their childhoods.  More so YSS.  He is 17 now.  I have been with his dad since SS was 4.  I love them, just not AS much as my two. 

venessaw04
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I love my sk's just as i love the kids the i carried in my tummy.  They are all treated the same there are no different rules for either of them.  in my eyes they are all just kids that deserve to be loved with no question and Even more that their mom is unable to be involved right now.  My mom doesnt understand this and always tells me that i need to make my kids priority.   she doesnt live in my household and hasnt had to go through what we have.  To each their own, some are able to and some are not.  

DeliteCrazy
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM
I guess it would depend on the person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it is definitely possible because I've done it. It's the wisdom of doing so that I question.
Birdseed
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I'm sure some people can and I think that if you're in the kids' lives early and constantly then for sure.

For me, no.  I love my SDs.  I care about them and feel very mama bear if there is something to be mama bear about.  But there is a clear delineation.  they are not my kids. 

That said, I didn't meet them til they were a little older--10/11.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured