Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Quick question

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM
  • 23 Replies
YSS needs braces per BM. She wants to get them right now. DH and I are not in a spot financially to get them. Even with the payments they will do we still have to do a down payment before they get put on and we just don't have the money to do it right now. If BM goes ahead and gets the braces put on despite DH's inability to pay, if he then responsible for starting payments, etc? Just for info: They have Joint Physical/Legal CO states they are to confer on major issues. DH is not responsible per CO for medical/dental expenses that are elective or solely cosmetic. (Don't know if any of this matters...)
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RinseAndRepeat2
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

He could probably argue that braces are elective and cosmetic.   He can also warn her that if she ELECTS to have them put on and takes on that expense EVEN AFTER he has expressed (in writing) he is unable to afford it right now, then it is on her.   She can't put his name on the account legally. So if you start getting bills form the ortho, that is fraud.

Has he tried giving her a time frame? Is he willing to pay for half when it is feasable? 

We have that situation going on right now actually.  BUT the CO specificially addresses Braces and DH is responsible for half.  No big deal.  BUT BM is financially backed by her sister so when "BM CAN AFFORD IT" it means her sister is paying her portion and DH is expected magically have the money within their time frame. No consideration is given for his financially situation. 

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM
We are 100% on board with him getting braces. We were told it would be next year and we figured "perfect, we would get our taxes and just pay them all at once." Well now she decided she wants to get them put on now. She only just informed him of this last week in which he sent a registered letter stating he was no agreeing to them at this time. But come next Feb/March then he would be good to go with getting them. And suprise suprise! BM I guess decided that text messaging was ok now since she sent one to him today letting him know more details on the braces.
Quoting RinseAndRepeat2:

He could probably argue that braces are elective and cosmetic.   He can also warn her that if she ELECTS to have them put on and takes on that expense EVEN AFTER he has expressed (in writing) he is unable to afford it right now, then it is on her.   She can't put his name on the account legally. So if you start getting bills form the ortho, that is fraud.

Has he tried giving her a time frame? Is he willing to pay for half when it is feasable? 

We have that situation going on right now actually.  BUT the CO specificially addresses Braces and DH is responsible for half.  No big deal.  BUT BM is financially backed by her sister so when "BM CAN AFFORD IT" it means her sister is paying her portion and DH is expected magically have the money within their time frame. No consideration is given for his financially situation. 

huntersmom1007
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Braces are cosmetic.  I would talk to her dentist and find out exactly what he/she said and go from there.  IF the dentist is ok with getting them next year just tell her you put them on now and you will be responsible for them until tax time next year when you can afford to start paying on them.  Period end of story.  

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM
DH has been trying to call the dentist. They are really good about working things out between parents. We had situations before with the same dentist and OSS when he got his braces. They were wonderful. I have a gut feeling that when DH talks to someone there and tells them he needs to wait they will hold off until next year. But you never know and we really don't need the extra expense right now.
Quoting huntersmom1007:

Braces are cosmetic.  I would talk to her dentist and find out exactly what he/she said and go from there.  IF the dentist is ok with getting them next year just tell her you put them on now and you will be responsible for them until tax time next year when you can afford to start paying on them.  Period end of story.  

runinpinkshoes
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I see people are saying braces are cosmetic which would mean it's not your DH's responsibility. Are you thinking it won't be cosmetic so you'll have to pay? I personally don't really know how braces would be classified in terms of necessity.

In any case, my DH just had to deal with this. His half for SD's braces after insurance was $1700. He put it on his credit card. Definitely not ideal but he wouldn't ever just have an extra $1700 lying around. Is putting it on a credit card an option for you, then you could pay it off after you get your tax refund? 

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
They could just be cosmetic but I don't think either one of us are banking on that and honestly DH and I would be more than happy to pay for half either way. That is one of the reasons DH is trying to get a hold of the dentist so he can find out what it's being classified as. We don't have credit cards so that isn't an option for us. We are cash only folks. lol
Quoting runinpinkshoes:

I see people are saying braces are cosmetic which would mean it's not your DH's responsibility. Are you thinking it won't be cosmetic so you'll have to pay? I personally don't really know how braces would be classified in terms of necessity.

In any case, my DH just had to deal with this. His half for SD's braces after insurance was $1700. He put it on his credit card. Definitely not ideal but he wouldn't ever just have an extra $1700 lying around. Is putting it on a credit card an option for you, then you could pay it off after you get your tax refund? 

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I think braces are pretty important, even if they are cosmetic. 

If Mom can manage to get the ortho to put the braces on without a down-payment, isn't that a good thing? He can then pay later when he has the money.

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:32 PM
I agree which is why DH and I are both in agreement with the braces even if they are just cosmetic. If mom can get them to put them on without a down payment that would be great, but that hasn't been put on the table as an option.
Quoting whatIknownow:

If Mom can manage to get the ortho to put the braces on without a down-payment, isn't that a good thing? He can then pay later when he has the money.

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Is mom able to put the down payment down now?

Quoting stepmommy2:

I agree which is why DH and I are both in agreement with the braces even if they are just cosmetic. If mom can get them to put them on without a down payment that would be great, but that hasn't been put on the table as an option.
Quoting whatIknownow:

stepmommy2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM
If she did she would bill us for it and we would have 30 days to pay her back, so that doesn't help the situation out to much. I have a feeling that is what she is going to end up doing though. DH is trying to get the dentist on the phone first and see what his game plan is, then DH will make a decision on how to approach the whole thing. If the dentist sees no problem with waiting (he was scheduled to get them in 2014) then DH will want to wait. We would both much rather pay the dentist directly than having to pay BM back.
Quoting amantonacci:

Is mom able to put the down payment down now?

Quoting stepmommy2:

Quoting whatIknownow:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured