Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oh this is cute....

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 46 Replies
Per CO, BM is required to carry health insurance for the family, including DF. She pays no extra to carry him. Its been like this for almost three years. Today, she gives him paperwork that says her insurance company no longer will carry him. No reason, other than they are changing their policy. This is BayState health, which is craptastic to begin with.

Now, in the CO, it says if she is to drop him for any reason OR he gets a job where he must carry insurance, the CS is to be lowered (how much, I'm not sure, possibly whatever he has to pay out of pocket himself)....

So, BM is going to either have to find another insurance carrier who will honor the CO, or risk getting CS reduced drastically. This is set to happen as of Jan 1st. Is it safe to assume they will have to go back to court to have the CO & CS modified?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amantonacci
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Why is she required to carry a grown man that she has no relationship with on her health insurance?

pdxmum
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I doubt CS would get reduced drastically.  Probably some minor percentage.  Let's say it will cost SO $150 to cover himself.  It still didn't cost BM $150 to cover him - there was no expense to her associated with it so it isn't like suddenly she is going to see $150 extra in her monthly income.

My guess is they will just reevaluate CS altogether.

MysticIceWater
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM

This is my question to?

Quoting amantonacci:

Why is she required to carry a grown man that she has no relationship with on her health insurance?

JustaSM231
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM
This. Why was she ordered to carry him in her insurance? Is he self employed?

Quoting amantonacci:

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM

All I can think is how expensive the rider the insurance carrier would have to offer to the employer to be able to have an ex spouse be on your insurance...

Quoting MysticIceWater:

This is my question to?

Quoting amantonacci:

Amy1973Potts
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM
DF is a single employee for a remodeling company, and what it would cost to insure him would take such a chunk of his check, he wouldn't be able to survive, let alone pay CS.

This is the CO. Judge ordered this. Not like he asked for her insurance. And for those if you asking why a grown man is being carried.....if it was the man carrying the ex wife as part if the CO, would you feel the same?

BM was carrying DF on her insurance at time of divorce, custody is split 50/50, AND HE PAYS $700 a month in CS. BM makes over double what he does, it costs her nothing, judge felt she should continue to pay.

I just read the letter tha BM gave him from insurance company. It states they are not REQUIRED to carry an ex spouse - which now makes it sounds like they are mking a choice - and just don't want to anymore.

BM may not like carrying the insurance, but this was a judges decision, she signed off and agreed to it. Insurance is not offered thru my job, and DFs part time job does not offer it either. So between his full time AND part time job, no insurance that he can afford.

As far as CS being reduced, it would most likely be for the amount if his monthly premium. That being said, BM would flip her shit to get less money, so I don't know what she is going to do about it. His insurance gets dropped, she is in contempt, which sucks, but her optiins are limited. Get less CS, or find different insurance.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runinpinkshoes
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

If custody is 50/50 and BM makes over double what he does, why is he the one paying support? Isn't it income based? 

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

BM was carrying DF on her insurance at time of divorce, custody is split 50/50, AND HE PAYS $700 a month in CS. BM makes over double what he does, it costs her nothing, judge felt she should continue to pay.

Amy1973Potts
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM
THANK YOU!

YES! And at court this spring, lawyer showed judge the paperwork for CS showing BM should be paying DF about $300 a month...but bc the CS was already being paid, despite being 50/50 (essentially he is paying for them to live at both homes), and this judge is a nightmare, so he reduced the CS a bit and said come back in a year to have it further reduced. DF wanted to be financially respobsible for the kids on his time, BM on her time, and he offered to pay all drug copays, not just half. (one child has a rare disorder)BM said no. So, judge said because she didnt want to negotiate, CS gets lowered by $50 a month. EVEN THOUGH this state is a no pay state for split custody AND there was financial statements falsely fudged by BM, and worksheet said BM is responsible for CS. THIS STATE MAKES NO SENSE!

And to top it off, BM asked DF today if I could get the kids a few days a month so she doesnt have to pay for after-care at school. I damn near died laughing.

BUT, I said of course I would ;)

Quoting runinpinkshoes:

If custody is 50/50 and BM makes over double what he does, why is he the one paying support? Isn't it income based? 

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runinpinkshoes
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:09 PM

WOW. This situation is actually very similar to what my DH is going through with BM - though I think you and your DH have it worse :(.  What state are you in?

In our case, my DH makes more than BM, but she does make a decent living, more than enough to support the kids during her time. Their custody is 60/40, he pays $900 a month in CS plus half of everything else, and often more than that. It really does seem as though he's completely supporting both houses. 

The "50/50 each parent pay during their own time" makes total sense to us too. I feel like the kids would benefit much more if he could just keep the $900 and spend it on them while he has them, because BM is constantly telling the kids she can't afford (whatever) and to ask DH. 

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

THANK YOU!

YES! And at court this spring, lawyer showed judge the paperwork for CS showing BM should be paying DF about $300 a month...but bc the CS was already being paid, despite being 50/50 (essentially he is paying for them to live at both homes), and this judge is a nightmare, so he reduced the CS a bit and said come back in a year to have it further reduced. DF wanted to be financially respobsible for the kids on his time, BM on her time, and he offered to pay all drug copays, not just half. (one child has a rare disorder)BM said no. So, judge said because she didnt want to negotiate, CS gets lowered by $50 a month. EVEN THOUGH this state is a no pay state for split custody AND there was financial statements falsely fudged by BM, and worksheet said BM is responsible for CS. THIS STATE MAKES NO SENSE!

And to top it off, BM asked DF today if I could get the kids a few days a month so she doesnt have to pay for after-care at school. I damn near died laughing.

Quoting runinpinkshoes:

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

Amy1973Potts
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Exactly.

He just sent her a really good, helpful, level headed email and is very willing to work something out.

Quoting runinpinkshoes:

WOW. This situation is actually very similar to what my DH is going through with BM - though I think you and your DH have it worse :(.  What state are you in?

In our case, my DH makes more than BM, but she does make a decent living, more than enough to support the kids during her time. Their custody is 60/40, he pays $900 a month in CS plus half of everything else, and often more than that. It really does seem as though he's completely supporting both houses. 

The "50/50 each parent pay during their own time" makes total sense to us too. I feel like the kids would benefit much more if he could just keep the $900 and spend it on them while he has them, because BM is constantly telling the kids she can't afford (whatever) and to ask DH. 

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

THANK YOU!

Quoting runinpinkshoes:

Quoting Amy1973Potts:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured